Re: Mower throttle fault

> Found that the throttle doesn't have any effect except run and stop

>> and also doesn't directly move the levers on/near the carb. It moves = a >> plate against a spring on the opposite side of the engine. >> When the engine is hunting, a c. 2mm move of the little lever on the = >> carb gives full revs and no hunting. What I don't know is the method = >> of controlling the revs - as the engine hunts the lever on the carb i= s >> moving in time to the hunting.

The engine speedis normally controlled by a vane in the draft from the fan near the recoil starter. Engine slows draft drops, vane moves, opens= throttle, draft increases etc. Thesprings and linkages associated with this are uselly very sloppy and not easy to really follow what is going =

on with engine stopped. It might just be a spring in the wrong place/broken or similar for a linkage including bent.

Change the carb diaphragm - about =A33.50 (Amazon) - and clean the air= > filter

That is another possibilty our mower got one of the little flap valves stuck open and that made the engine hunt. Found it when I carefully took= the carb off the tank, put back ensuring flap valves in right place and =

decent overlaps etc. That was a number of years ago now...

A McCullock (McCulloch?) probably has a Briggs & Stratton engine their website is pretty good with full manauls etc. Bu may not cover the throttle linkages as that is really part of the mower not the engine. Tr= y the McCulloch site?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

B&S are very helpful, they sent me by return the manual and parts list for an old engine on a Hayter that was not listed on their website for download. It had very useful info on carb. settings etc.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The other sources of information and spares I'll follow up. I'll also check all the other things above and in other posts.

Reply to
PeterC