Re: glass

More details here.

I seem to recall hearing decades ago of attempts to demonstrate glass creep (something like a loaded cantilevered glass rod), but Google doesn't immediately find anything.

Reply to
newshound

I can't see that anyone would bother trying. Estimates for the viscosity of soda glass are around 10^20 poise whereas lead is around 10^10. ISTR some medieval plumbing has sagged under its own weight.

Corning Glass museum has a nice explanation:

Martin Brown

I rested a house brick on top of a light bulb for over five years and there was no deformation in that time.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

When I were younger, Victorian houses wit heavily sagged lead plumbing were common.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It has to be many centuries old. So, churches and cathedrals.

Reply to
harry

Urban myth, in those days flat glass was always produced by spinning a disk, so it is always tapered. And glass-makers set the thick edge at the bottom for stability, there is also a prism effect directing light more downwards.

Reply to
newshound

The physicist in me would still like to see it measured, rather than estimated. Glass rod with optical flats on each end. Rest on two supports on an optical bench with a decent weight in the middle. Multiple beam interferometry. Maybe try to formulate a "low viscosity" composition?

Reply to
newshound

Nice thought, but no.

I never dug it.

It was always there. Presumably since before te addjacent field was equipped with land drains that dump into an active drain (in the fen use of the term) at te bottom of hte garden.

Field run off via that is impressive after a storm

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, the process of vitrification below the glass transition temperature makes it a solid.

It's no different to calling an amorphous solid a super cooled liquid.

Reply to
Fredxx

Or if you stick it down for a while with old fuel rods in the hard water tank

Reply to
FMurtz

For similar purposes we had a small quarry that apart from the odd amount for our own requirements like a stone wall fell into disuse circa 1913 ,very useful over decades to dispose of awkward stuff though some of it like the horse drawn cart and various other interesting bits could be sold now rather than dumped. Despite our efforts most of the quarry remains and the tip bit is well covered with soil

Been in different hands for a while now but doesn?t seem to have changed much.

GH

Reply to
Marland

yep. Probably the best place to dump glass is in the sea where it will turn back into sand quite rapidly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As long as all the little fish aren't at risk of cutting themselves on the sharp edges of broken glass ;-)

I presume glass is a resource that is always recycled if possible rather than being dumped (landfill, sea, etc).

Reply to
NY

Since it involves atoms moving past each other, I would expect the ones in glass to have to go through crystalline positions, which would be more stable, which is what happened in the case of the lens you mentioned, and is seen in some items of Roman glass.

That just gives me an empty page.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Glass isn't crystalline, it's amorphous.

See e.g.

#Paul

Reply to
news19k

There is some value in clear container glass for recycling. Coloured glass (especially green), has little or no value for recycling, and is often used as ballast or as an aggregate in building road sub bases etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

It doesn?t actually. We still get plenty turning up from the days when it was a fad to put messages into bottles and toss them in the sea.

Reply to
2987pl

That?s my point. It?s amorphous but made of something that has a stable crystalline form. So if it were creeping, the rearrangement of atoms would cause it to form crystals.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

What about vitroceramic hobs?

vitroceramic: 1.A heat-resistant material created by crystallizing glass in controlled conditions. (Wiktionary)

Reply to
Max Demian

Much depends on the chemical composition of the glass as to whether it will form a crystalline phase if given the appropriate heat treatment. Many 'glass-ceramics' contain lithium, especially those used on cooking hobs. They have a low coefficient of thermal expansion, so tend not to crack when exposed to big temperature gradients. The mirrors of giant astronomical are also made of glass-ceramic with a low coefficient of thermal expansion, so that they don't distort when subject to temperature variations, day to night, for example.

See also

But I doubt that window glass, especially mediaeval glass, typically a lime-soda-silica glass, would crystallise under similar circumstances. I've had a quick look for the phase diagram for that system, but all I can immediately turn up are CaO-SiO2-Al2O3 ternary diagrams. There must be one out there somewhere!

Reply to
Chris Hogg