Re-gassing freezer

Some freezers have pressed metal shelves and they can and do leak.

Reply to
zall

Fraid so.

Rod Speed

No? Then why are you regassing?

Reply to
Animal

I'm not:-)

The original enquiry was to enhance my limited knowledge of refrigerant systems and to inform a repair/replace decision.

The consensus has moved me to a replace decision.

The current hiatus is twofold. Nobody I have found supplies an identically sized unit which means a replacement will have to be smaller or rotated 90deg. to suit the utility room layout. The other unexpected detail is that my wife has expectations of some magic device that will safely store frozen food, not need bi-annual defrosting and directly communicate with her brain exactly where the item she thinks might be stored is located.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That is unfortunate. I am facing a similar issue in that my main fridge is of an unusual size, but I can at huge expense get one the same size...

Isn't that called a 'husband'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Any decent frost free freezer will do that fine.

And a vertical freezer with drawers will make it a lot easier to check that too.

Reply to
farter

Err, no. Women always know exactly where the item you have 'lost' is, and helpfully make suggestions like "Is it where you last put it ?"

Reply to
Andrew

Right. Regassing is only really useful when work has been done to the system, or it's losing gas but very very slowly. Tranferring the working gubbins from another unit is too much work 99.9% of the time. As someone mentioned, I'd vote for an upright freezer or 2 almost every time. Not if you're freezing whole animals.

Reply to
Animal

Hmm. Strangely, that is what she wants. No arguments about efficiency/running cost, lack of convenient space, failure to solve the

*where is the item I believe is in there* problem, carry any weight at all:-( I think it actually comes down to what one of her friends has!

I'll try the *4pint bottle of semi-skimmed milk will not fit* argument next.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Chest freezers may be technically good for long term storage of the deer you killed last year, but they are a pain to access.

There is a reaoson that chests of drawers replaced chests, as domestic and industrial storage.

Random access is MUCH easier. SHE doesn't pay the leccy bill. But SHE has to find out where the ice cream is stashed

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have stopped shooting Deer. There is still the Corn cobs and perhaps Broad Beans to store. Most freezable garden produce is affordable year round at the supermarket so I now try to sequence crops for direct use or dry storage for potatoes, Beetroot etc.

If that is labour time, what else might she be doing?

I can see compartmenting stuff being helpful but the issue seems more related to the defrosting job and *knowing* what stuff is in there.

Indeed OVO have just opted me in to their annualised DD hoping I won't run a comparison with actual consumption.

No. That is in the kitchen fridge/freezer drawer and the grandchildren know anyway.

A glimmer of compromise hope this morning. I have been pushing the lack of available indoor space and pointing out that the garage is not *house clean*, accessed via 2 outside doors and is not well lit.

We may be heading for a smaller chest which will use the existing space and not compromise her *pulley-hauley* clothes dryer!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ah....all very familiar. The ex took that with her, thank Clapton. I just have a fridge freezer upright now, and the main kitchen fridge for all the short term stuff. I am not sure, but my suspicion is that buying fresh veg is cheaper than the electricity needed to run a big freezer. Harrowing leccy prices change the cost benefit analysis hugely. Mind you I keep dividing available cash by life expectancy and telling myself not to worry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snip

Claimed to be about £220/annum but I bet that is pre-rise! Small offset for heating season. Growing your own garden Peas has to be a total waste apart from supporting the Wood Pigeon crop.

Now we have to worry about currency devaluations as well.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

And with a vertical freezer with drawers, its a lot easier to keep putting the same stuff in particular drawers so it is much easier to find what you want next time.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes local refrigeration company did it on Parents freezer ..... it was not Butane. It was one of the now banned refrigerants.

Reply to
rick

Replacement on order. Prices seem to be dropping for chest types!

Reply to
Tim Lamb