Re-fixing into knackered holes.

Removed a rad for redecorating. It's been loose for ages as a couple of the fixing screws have come loose in their holes. Presumably I got a joint when fixing it originally, also the plaster around the hole has crumbled a bit.

I maybe able to relocate the hole a bit by moving the bracket slightly, but I don't want to move the rad itself. I have used the expoy putty before for plugging such a hole, but not sure it will work so well in this situation, ditto for hammering bit's of wood in

Any other suggestions for getting a better fixing - the wall is being skimmed as well.

Reply to
chris French

If it is brick/block/concrete try using a chemical anchor with a threaded stud in it - it will be stronger than the wall it is fixed to.

Screwfix sell it as do most builders merchants (not usually found in DIY stores)

link shows you the range available

AJ

Reply to
AJ

Fill the holes with car body filler, then skim and re-drill for plugs.

You should gouge out any loose stuff and if clever, where the new fixings are going, and if extremely clever, insert new plugs into body filler as it sets.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fill the holes with Gripfill and push a rawlplug in before it sets.

sPoniX

Reply to
sPoNiX

My strategy, which has never failed up to now, is to fill the hole with hot melt glue and push in a rawlplug, then, at least the first time I did it, run around yelling with hot melt glue stuck to the end of my finger :-)

I think it works particularly well because the hot glue flows into cavities in the masonary and forms a plug better than other solutions.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Or use the biggest plug that'll fit tightly and fill that with a smaller plug(s)

Reply to
stuart noble

This is a great idea. Never thought of it, but I'll try it next time. Is it worth saying that he should make sure all the loose dust and bits are cleared out?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Indeed it would. I completely forgot to mention that :-) I just stick the vacuum cleaner up to it for a second or two.

Sam

Reply to
Sam