Re: Corrugated Asbestos Roof - what replacements?

Reply to
The Q

You could use corrugated iron (easiest to get from BMs but more expensive there than the slitter), or a Fr3nch product called "Onduline" which is a bitumen-type corrugated sheet.

You could, however, put a slate (or tile) roof on, which would look better. Is the plan of your house/outhouse like this?

+------------------+ | | O/H | | House |-----+ | | | | +------------+

or what? Is the roof of the O/H single-pitch, or double-pitched?

Is this to be a D-I-Y?

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

I do not think that this is correct. There should be a council tip within reach that will take this type of material. He could simply take it there and dump it in their special "closed" skip.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

You cannot take it to the tip, if caught a hefty fine! It requires professional disposal ie expensive. Fil

Reply to
philosopher

Well, you could a couple of months ago - what has changed?

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Please, please fix your news reader. It's really annoyning the way it doesn't set headers correctly, thereby completely destroying the threading.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, that does seem to be completely wrong. See:

factsheets/asbestos.htm

Some councils will even collect it for you:

's a "safety" link off that page, too.

search "asbestos disposal council"

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Erm, I've never read anything anywhere about cement roofing panels containing asbestos requiring professional removal and nothing also about insurance stuff. In fact - my council's website says you can take 6 panels to their 'tip' if you double wrap it and mark it as such.

David Hearn

Not true....

"Up to six sheets of asbestos may be taken to one of the three transfer stations. Only cement bonded asbestos is accepted at the sites"

David Hearn

When I went (1999), no. Though I didn't know about this six sheets lark. I took a large water tank, which may or may not have been made of asbestos but nevertheless, they took it for free and put it in their locked container.

tim

Reply to
tim

Hi,

yes the layoutis just as you have drawn, and it is single pitch.

Originally I was goiing to do the job my self but now have no time. I have found someone to do it, but I just neeed to confirm to him what to replace the roof with. Nextto the o/h is a small wooden shed with a double pitch roof. He suggested using the same type of roofing as that (felt based I guess) but I was not to convined about the durability of that. I just went round a fewDIY shops to see what is availabel but havenot tried buiders yard.

Many THanks

Bhupesh

Reply to
bp_soni