RCBOs - the wiggly blue madness!

If you were to fill a large consumer unit with RCBOs, it looks to me like you'd have trouble fitting all the wires in, let alone connect the final circuits. Is there a knack to dealing with all the wiggly blue wires, or a best practice? Alternatively is there a make of CU that has more room inside?

tom.harrigan

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm in the process of ordering a Hager industrial Type A metal board (like this:

the 20way version )

It claims to be roomy. It's not an ugly board, but it's not very subtle either - mine's getting a wiring cupboard built around it anyway.

I'll have mine in a couple of weeks - I can take photos if you can wait that long.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I used MEM (now Eaton) Memshield2...

of space inside. Very nice consumer units to work with. Probably not cheap compared with domestic consumer units.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi All,

welcome to electrics,

micky

Reply to
Micky Savage

I liked the way that example had a box before the CU which reduced the number of wires in the CU. Wd that be OK in a domestic installation so long as there is (as in your example) no gap between the 2 boxes (and of course the singles are rated to cope)? -- Robin

Reply to
neverwas

That's simply because the wires weren't long enough after swapping the CU. I wouldn't do that if starting from scratch, although it's fine from the regulatory point of view.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks. I asked as I've faced just that situation; and what you had done seemed to me much neater and more flexible than crimping on bits of cable.

Reply to
neverwas