Rats in the attic. Burglar proof paint

My sister has problems with rats and has tried all sorts of remedies plus several visits from a rat catcher. She has a thatched roof. I wondered whether burglar proof paint round the entrance holes would help prevent their access. Has anyone else tried this

Reply to
Donald Morris

Probably not.

How are the rats reaching roof level in the first place? Perhaps a small electrified fence around the eaves would help?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Both rats and mice can climb vertical surfaces providing they're not glassy smooth. That's what their publicity agents and managers have always claimed down the ages anyway.

michael adams

michael adams

It will just mean that the rats leave horrid trails of burglar paint to add to her problems. They find it harder to pass through chicken mesh.

A few well placed vicious rat traps is probably the least worst option. Rats smell too much as they decompose if you use poison bait in a house.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Get rid of every trace of food source.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yup like a rat up a drainpipe as the saying goes. However, overhangs can give them a headache. Trouble is, I suppose that if its a Thatched roof adding conspicuous items to stop them might well be frowned upon by the local council. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Had a rat in my attic, could hear him scratching. Set up video camera on night vision and connected to my computer. Set up 2 traps, the snap and kill type, tied them with string to the joists and watched the sod chew through the string to pull the trap away. They were baited with roast ox crisps, the rat bit through the string moved the trap over the loft insulation, got under the trap and proceeded to hump the trap over to tip out the crisps from the bait cup. They are very intelligent creatures. In the end the other trap got him but not before he had dragged that one out of camera view.

Reply to
critcher

Roast ox crisps?!?

I use peanut butter. Got two of the buggers that way.

Reply to
Halmyre