Rant Time - Road Edging

Hi all

Yes - totally OT, but had to vent on this one! I live in an image conscious village west of Hull called Swanland. Along with a neighbouring village, North Ferriby, a lot of vounteer work is done to keep the place looking smart (planting tubs etc).

Between the villages there is a stretch of road with an elevated path alongside for maybe 200 yards. The path kept breaking up, so the council have put up a form of retaining wall. In section, this is like oval shaped about 600 x 300 (oval laid on its side), with interlocking teeth to allow location of blocks. The problems are: The colour is sand stone which is not in keeping with the area The top line of the blocks is very "wavey" like a string line hasn't been used to set the level/fall The blocks should follow the curve of the road but meander in unsightly manner. Is there a total lack of quality control on this type of work?

At the end of the retaining wall, the blocks do not taper down to the surrounding path or road level, but simply stop abruptly. Is it a requirement for road edging to taper down like kerbstones do at drive entrances? Any collision with this end face of wall would completely wreck the front end of a vehicle.

OK feeling much calmer now

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Surely the work that has been done is to protect the safety of the pedestrians who use that path - If it does that without compromising safety (due to actual poor workmanship), then what's the probem?

From your rant, it seems that you are the typical "village idiot" where "image consciousness of that village" comes well before the safety and wellbeing of most its residents - and others?

Sod the damage to any vehicle - it shouldn't be on the pavement anyway. Or are you also one of those idiotic drivers who think that all pavement areas are "car parks", and put there just for the motoris who's too lazy to park legall and properly on the public highway?

That's a pity 'cause I just rewound that coiled-spring in you!

Woodworm

Reply to
Woodworm

Pictures? I'm having difficulty visualising some of what you're describing.

Reply to
Clive George

Aye, he lost me at "image conscious" and "Hull" ! 8-)

(...and yes, I lived in Cottingham for a couple of years)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Woodworm" wrote

I didn't claim to do this work myself, but do appreciate the efforts of those who improve the area for the benefit of all. Old fashioned values admittedly, in this age where litter strewn streets and barbed wire topped fencing are accepted as the norm in many places.

Quite the opposite, my vote is for practicality over aesthetics every time, but appearance is still a consideration. My gripe is over a council who will have private home-owners submitting planning applications for minor works and jumping through hoops to maintain the appearance of "the street scene". The same council then install a retaining wall that is poorly built out of materials that are seriously out-of-keeping with the surroundings.

On narrow(ish) country-type roads it is often necessary to use the full width of the carriageway. There are regularly horses on this stretch and the retaining wall is on the inside of a bend - so no, it would not need someone attempting to use the path as a car park to result in a collision on this poorly lit stretch of road.

My question, which has not been answered was genuine - at this exposed point, is it not a requirement to taper said wall down to road level?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"Andy Dingley" wrote

You've obviously not been taken in by all the hype about city centre revival, marina development, the success of The Deep blah blah...

2 years in Cott - whereabouts? I was there for 7 (off Castle Road).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I for one am having great difficulty in visualising what this "wall" is. A picture (or three) is worth a thousand words...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Dave Not quite a picture, but this sketch may make things clearer

in fore-ground which drops away left to right. Strange kerb-retaining wall thing then footpath with low banking behind. Don't have time to show the kerb blocks on curved road but, if you imagine these are set on a curving slope and look like they've been installed by an unsupervised community support worker on drugs you'll understand the build quality. All other kerbing nearby is standard grey stuff sometimes double height, the construction drawn is sand stone coloured. One key point is the "blunt end" shown, which is right on the road side about 10-12" tall.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

> Road in fore-ground which drops away left to right.

Do you have a digital camera, or access to one? Coz a photo would be _so_ much better. Your sketch hasn't really helped at all.

Reply to
Clive George

Put it this way - I had a blue door and orange curtains 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley