RAID - (Flyspray) question...

One of my idiot housemates has just completely nuked our shared kitchen with RAID Fly and Wasp Killer because there were a few (

Reply to
Jake

Well according to my can, in summary

1) Cleared for use in kitchens 2) Spray only into the air 3) Keep spray 1 meter from all surfaces and walls.

I would say those are pretty easy to comply with even in the smallest kitchen and provided they have been, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I use mine in the kitchen and have come to no obvious harm yet.

Reply to
news

Designate him as your food taster. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I would chuck out the food, and the housemate, and clean all the work surfaces and food preparation/serving items. This may be OTT, but I would never dream of using any insecticide in such a fashion, regardless how safe it says it is on the tin.

I have several different carnivorous plants on the kitchen windowsill, which besides being interesting and often the subject of conversations by visitors, serve to keep the room insect free. (However, I doubt they would keep the room clear of flies in the face of old food left laying around, although they'd love the extra feeding opportunity.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel :

My absolute favourite, best ever, fly killer is this:

Completely safe and 100% effective. Not only that but flies love it (apparently).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Get rid of the housemate and keep the flies.

Personally, I'd (force him to) rinse all the crockery, pans and cutlery, wipe the surfaces and chuck any open food, or let him eat it. If you're worried, then just chuck the fruit and bread and tell him to replace it.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Define "nuked". Just a couple of short squirts into the air in the middle of the room or long continuous blasts waving around all over the place, possibly attempting to hit the flies directly?

The former is all you need and is "safe", the latter just pushes up the shareholders dividends and I'd not be happy about that use either.

If the latter get him to wash everything down that may have had the fall out land on it. So all the crockery, pans, all the surfaces etc. The fruit, wash and peel before eating. You should be washing it anyway if you are going to consume the skin like an apple for instance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The pyrethoids in it are considered harmless to humans in the concentrations used in domestic insecticides, although some particularly sensitive individuals may suffer skin or eye irritation. They will break down naturally in a day or two.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Perfect a crime, poison him with the rest of the contents of the can. Cops won't be able to reason whether the poisoning was self inflicted or not, when they get to remove his remains. Or, you could hide the remains

- shouldn't be a problem with flies...

Reply to
Adrian C

Wondered how long a "day or two" was so looked at our *ancient* cans of fly killer both contain tetramthrin:

Half life in air 3 hours (30 mins in soil!) so in air virtually gone in 30 hours.

Be worth the OP checking the active ingredient(s) of his Raid and having a google. Tetramethrin is *very* nasty stuff if you are an insect or aquatic invertibrate but mamals don't appear to be seriously affected.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Arfa Daily :

You have sea-going goldfish?

Respect.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Tetramethrin and d-phenothrin. Similar substances but giving a wider range of target species.

The flies in my house seem to thrive on the stuff.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Bzzz bzzzz bzzzx bxxxx bxxxx xxxxx xxxx xxxx xx ....

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I don't like my housemate and I'm looking for a reason to chew him out.

Grow a set of balls, pal and either learn to live with others or become a hermit. You're not going to die from the use of Raid in a kitchen, not unless you have six legs and you vomit on your food before eating it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Good grief! What on earth for? Are you a serial killer with 20 moldering bodies stashed about the house?

The last time I can remember using a fly spray must be oh gosh pre

1995 and that was to fumigate a loft that had developed a habit of growing wasps nests. I went up one spring and found 3 or 4 little nests (ping pong ball sized hanging on a short stem) that weren't there a couple of months earlier. And yes one of the the "ancient cans" I refered to earlier was probably the one I used...

We don't seem to suffer from flies but we do have a healthy spider population. Seem to be quite a lot of pholcus phalangioides (Cellar Spider) along with a number of ordinary house spiders. Of course daily use of fly spray kills off the spiders as well as the flies...

Meh. That's why you should wash and/or peel things and/or cook them and why you have an immune system.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh yus. I give the spiders a special treat by introducing them to Mr Parkside of the 1200W Clan.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Well it's got a digital motor (whatever the f*ck that is) so it must be alright

Reply to
newshound

I use a targeted short squirt aimed at the fly's next space occupancy. Works bloody well and a tin of Raid lasts all year and more.

If I use the Raid-preferred method of filling the room and leaving it with the doors closed, I reckon there's enough in a tin to do that twice. That gets pricey (and probably dodgier).

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Put the light out the other night, and almost immediately .... bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... light back on. There she is. Grab tissue. Look back. Vanished. Damn, all lights on, search. No sign anywhere, there's a spider in the corner I'll have to get rid of before SWMBO is next here... where is that dman mozzie... hang on... what's the spider eating?

:)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

is raid wasp and fly spray any good for killing spiders

Reply to
spooked80