Radio reception

I have a cheap alarm radio tuned to Classic FM which is not the strongest signal around. Normal listening is all but impossible due to interference unless I either hold the aerial wire or put my hand very close to the radio itself. The first option gives perfect clarity and the second reasonable listening but I find the need to be part of the system too restricting to be comfortable about either. Is there anything I could usefully use as a substitute? I have no idea why I should improve the reception so don't know what to try out.

I was originally going to badge this query as OT but on second thoughts it does seem distinctly diy.

Reply to
Roger

String a longer bit of wire out the window.

Adjust it for best signal.

If only listening to one signal, you can roughly tune it by ear to that frequency.

I have also found that wrapping the aerial round the mains lead sometimes makes it better - or worse. I have even connected the wire to the mains earth, and go some improvement.

If you have a decent FM aerial in the house connected to distribution amp stuff, consider connecting a bit of wire to one of its outputs as a local booster/repeater :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Open the radio up and connect a thin bit of wire to the aerial that will hang down outside is about all.

Reply to
EricP

The answer is simple. You need a better aerial. Implementing that may be more difficult. You could try extending the wire aerial. About 1 metre vertical is roughly what's needed for FM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Thanks to Dave and the others who have replied.

The radio has an aerial almost 1 metre long (38") which was approximately vertical but the inboard end was twisted round the power cable and hanging slackly didn't help either. Straightening the aerial has transformed the reception. I hope it remains transformed after dark when the reception has previously been at its worst.

Reply to
Roger

That's a bit weird FM isn't normally affected by day/night at least not to the extent that MW is.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is a bit..if you are going to get interference from distant stations it will be at night..

Same with digital TV..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher