Quickest way to boil a kettle, in a car?

Hrumph.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On holiday in Salcombe this summer we came across a gorgeous steam dinghy and it's owner (er, the boat was gorgeous ... you'd have to ask SWMBO about the owner :-). The boat itself had apaprently been built by apprentices at the Royal Naval College at Dartmouth just up the road (that wet wavy road that surrounds the land) in the 50s or 60s IIRC. The steam engine had been built by the owner in his shed (xpost to uk.rec.sheds :) based on the general idea of the boiler of a model engine and the cylinder of a torpedo boat (or was it the other way around?) and featured a dispenser of hot water, tea for the making of!

Incidentally the owner/builder told us he was a teacher in Kingsbridge (just up the estuary). Science, I think. Nice chap.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thought that was hamsters? Gerbils can chew through stuff pretty efefctively ...

Reply to
John Stumbles

Fred Dibnah's traction engine (on TV earlier this evening, series continues) had a tap for hot water. (And at a top speed of 12 mph, it wouldn't be too taxing for the OP to run behind it.)

One would think that 100 years later the internal combustion engine manufacturers would catch up with the idea of a cuppa on the move.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Antifreeze adds *BODY*...

(I have a 12v immersion heater for use in the carriage, don't y'know.)

Reply to
Jaques d'Alltrades

I suppose you all saw Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall cook a Thames carp on his Landrover manifold ?

heating system of my My Peugeot 405 Diesel chucks out so much waste heat (I prefer to drive with windows and sunroof open in the winter :-), I'm now thinking maybe I should fit a heat exchanger in the system somewhere .....

Jeremy

Reply to
brugnospamsia

They're called service stations.:-)

Now Fred simply used fire hydrants. But he mentioned the problems encountered when steam traffic was common. We'll have to wait for later to discover what he does about fuel for the journey. He mentioned getting some coal, but I can't imagine it being possible to carry what's needed for the journey.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sadly he died last November

uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Smoking is indicated in most if not all types of cancer.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "brugnospamsia" contains these words:

Hmmmm. Hfr it to heat an oven. Slip your evening meal in and it's cooked when you get home? Keeps stuff warm on the way back from the chippy?

Reply to
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

They generally towed a trailer of fuel and another shed on wheels as a sort-of caravan/toolstore. I have some photos somewhere, taken at Forncett Steam Museum (S. Norfolk), of a steam loco with just such an arrangement, which called there on its way to some rally in Yorkshire.

Just looked through all the photos I can find, and i dunno where these particular ones are.

Reply to
Jaques d'Alltrades

... thanks for reminding me - my glove box already keeps fish and chips warm for ages - just needs insulation and heat input .....

:-)

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Ah - right. They showed it towing the 'caravan'. Perhaps the next episode will show some form of 'tender'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah. Mine is fed off the air-con to keep things like drinks cool. Different priorities?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

.... methinks one could have probably have both from a source of waste heat, with knowledge of refrigeration and some dangerous pressurised gases ;-)

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Experience the Teasmade Anglia, new for 2005.

Reply to
Tofino

Available in two stunning colours...Earl Grey and Orange Pekoe.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Tell us more!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I had once a wonderful buk called 'rallying to Monte Carlo' which described an jaguar with a special metal cup built into the water cooling loop. A tin of soup could be placed inside (presumably pre-perforated) and became heated very quickly. Some time in 1955 I goove.

Reply to
Robert Harvey

The message from Robert Harvey contains these words:

When I finally get round to getting on with the Avion

I intend to molish a water jacket to go round part of the exhaust, rather like the demister's air stove.

Reply to
Guy King