Questions on Underfloor insulation including u-values.

Anyone know how I calculate the U-value for underfloor insulation for a house extension. I know you first divide the perimeter by the area and can then look up on manufacturers web-sites to determine the thickness of material needed to achieve the specified U-value. In my case though, this leads to a very high p/a value and I'm not sure that the calculation is applicable in this way. The floor is a suspended timber floor with air-space below it down to the oversite concrete.

Too keep things simple, lets say I have built a rectangular extension on the back of my house of say 6m by 2m. This gives a perimeter of

16m and an area of 12m, therefore p/a = 1.3 which is off the scale on the web-sites I have looked at so far.

In reality only one of these dimensions is on an external wall because one of the 6m lengths is along the existing back wall of the house, one of the 2m lengths adjoins my neighbours extension, and the other adjoins an existing extension which has been built on the side of the house and projected 2m beyond the existing back wall. So if I only need to consider external perimeter, the calculation is now 6/12 = 0.5 which is a much more reasonable value.

To complicate matters further, the existing house has no underfloor insulation and I am only doing this to achieve building regulations on the extension. The actual extension is L-shaped and makes the p/a value look even worse.

Finally, I have about a dozen cavity wall insulation batts left over. Is there any reason why I can't use these providing they achieve the required u-values ? I realise I will have to support them with chicken wire or something similar but is the fact that it is a fibrous material likely to cause problems ? I suspect not as I have been led to believe that others have used ordinary insulation rolls as normally used in loft spaces.

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin - as you know, Building Regs require floors to have a max. U value of

0.25W/m²K, and you could easily work out the thickness of any type of insulation required to achieve this. The purpose of the p/a calculation is to reduce the required insulation thickness by taking into account the U value of the soil under the floor. As the p/a ratio rises, though, this effect reduces and above 1.0 it becomes virtually negligible. That's why the tables stop at that point. If you wish you could go through the BS or the CIBSE Guide which leads you through the calculation process, but you are going to find the reduction in the amount of insulation needed is very small indeed, and it's really not worth the effort on your comparatively small job.

So, if you ignore the p/a calculation, you simply need to find an insulation thickness to achieve 0.25 and you can then be sure this meets or exceeds the requirement. You don't mention the thickness of your cavity wall batts, but looking at the Rockwool data, they recommend Rollbatts in timber ground floors (that's the same fibrous stuff used for loft insulation) and to achieve 0.25 you would need a thickness of 125mm between the joists (allowing 12% extra for the cold bridging effect of the joists). They recommend supporting this on 25mm mesh Netlon plastic netting stapled to the joists.

Hope this helps Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

It's also the correct one to use. Note also for extensions note C4 in the L1 Approved Document allows you to use the exposed perimeter and area of the whole house ground floor as extended which can reduce the amount of insulation required significantly

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Peter you've given me a very useful explanation but then lost me at the end. Could you explain how you came up with the 125mm please.

Reply to
Kevin

Thanks for the info Tony. I always have difficulty finding the right Approved Document and the relevant info within it. Even then I usually have to read it several times to be sure I am interpreting it correctly.

Reply to
Kevin