Question re mobility battery

Current battery is 12v 34/36AH x 2 (50AH optional) cost locally £190! Checking ebay MOBILITY SCOOTER WHEELCHAIR BATTERIES 2 x 12v 33AH AS 30AH

31 32AH 34AH 35AMP, this is one battery. (£95)

How do I relate the 34/36AH original to the advertised 33AH AS 30AH 31

32AH 34AH 35AMP, In other words would it be suitable or must I find one that rates as 34/36AH?
Reply to
ss

Getting a rough capacity match will be fine BUT BUT BUT it must be a deep discharge battery. not all vendors on ebay will be that conscientious about selling the right type of battery.

Many will do a heavy current for a short while eg engine starting on a mower/bike small car. These are no good.

Some will be standby batteries design to be float charged most of their life and then give their all a few time when the power fails. These are no good.

You need something called a deep discharge or traction battery and these cost real money.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes, all that is true.

Have you tested the charger?

Make sure (a) the vendor will give you the VAT exemption (b) the battery is the correct physical size and shape, and that the terminals are where you expect them to be.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

slight capacity difference.

As said get a golfcart type, not standby or starting. To go on a plane it w ould need to be a mobility scooter type.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

FIL got a local guy to take away and test, apparently the batteries, which is likely as he hasnt used for months due to hospitalisation.

I am getting involved now before he lays out £190!

Reply to
ss

It will never go on a plane, in fact I am not convinced he will actually get out with it, he is 90 and manages to fall at least 4 times a week. I would rather he didnt use it but he is insisting.

Reply to
ss

Yes they need to resist internal deformation and obviously are notjust your bog standard lead acid battery. Increasingly these are not even lead acid any more. I do think though that most of these sort of disabled user items tend to have prices invented by sticking a pin in a list, rather than actually making them affordable. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've used Tayna's own brand Powerline batteries in UPSes, last ones are coming up on 2 years and the UPS reckons are still at 91% capacity, obviously UPS batteries don't get the regular cycling of a mobility scooter, but it has been run for several hours, though I don't let it do the weekly test.

So might be worth considering

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is that a gel battery? Seems very reasonable.

Reply to
GB

Will this give him some freedom, rather than being housebound?

Reply to
GB

Look it up on the maker's site, and make sure it is suitable. If no maker's site, beware.

I helped a pal with a scooter get some replacements from Ebay - at well under half the shop price - and last I heard were fine.

To be fair, any posh high street shop like that is going to have to mark things up over mail order.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no, absorbed glass mat

Reply to
Andy Burns

The Ah rating determines how long it will run for. The most important thing is to select a battery intended for deep discharge and fairly brutal vibration conditions. They are not cheap but they are nowhere near as expensive as the ones sold exclusively for the purpose.

I wouldn't trust buying them on eBay though.

Try RapidOnline for deep discharge robust SLAs - you will easily meet their minimum order for free shipping.

The most important thing is that the replacement battery must be physically the right size and connector fittings to fit in the space allocated to the batteries and the cables.

Reply to
Martin Brown

To take a scooter on a plane you need the special plug that you put in the charge socket. This immobilises the scooter. It's just a 3 pin XLR with two pins shorted, but the shops sell them for vast amounts.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thanks all for the input, I now have a good idea what I am looking for.

Reply to
ss