Quarter round MDF?

Its also relatively easy to select multiple brightness levels when you run a tube way below rated power (with filament heating to compensate), this is semi-easy to do using large tubes, which makes the whole setup even cheaper. And since you can in such a setup start tubes at reduced brightness, low cost magnetic ballasts are more ok.

To be honest, brightness is one of the biggest deals, and needs to be right. Suggest a little experimenting to make sure you get close. You can use filament bulbs and translate the power required using the different efficacy values for filament vs tube.

NT

Reply to
NT

I bought one, but then thought of the skirting board, and haven't found a use for the router after all: shame.

Spamlet

(not read all the responses yet - so forgive me if everyone else has already made the same suggestion).

Slap a bit of square section MDF (or whatever) in there, and run a router down it with a 1/2" round over bit in it.

Reply to
John Rumm

It was a similar job that caused me to buy my first router many years ago... needed some edging for something where the official version would have worked out about £90, which was more expensive than the router and basic timber!

Reply to
John Rumm

It routes well enough for something that will be emulsioned. The routed ends get a bit more absorbent, so its harder to finish smoothly with varnish.

Reply to
John Rumm

I usually give the edges a wipe with filler on a rag. After a light sanding, they take a finish as well as the faces.

Reply to
stuart noble