PV panels

Now that is funny.

They could have had one on each chimney and some on the side of the garage too!

I remember seeing a large set of angled panels on the end of a house in Leamington Spa, but it did at least look to be in a sensible location.

It wasn't there when google drove past, but geograph has it

Andy Burns

Wonder if they rented the side of their house ;-)?

A handy Sun position app for Android;

Adam Aglionby

Now, in addition to mon v poly, there are differing opinions on where to site the panels.

We have three roofs which seem to be suitable:

- a south-facing roof (actually 170º) on top of the two storey main building with an east-facing roof alongside which has a chimney on it which would throw a shadow across the south-facing roof

- a west-facing (actually 260º) roof on top of the two storey main building

- a west-facing roof (actually 260º) on top of a single storey extension which is built out from the two story main building.

Two quotes suggest using the two west-facing roofs, the third suggests using the two top roofs: the top west-facing and the south-facing.

In the case of the two similar quotes, I am concerned that the lower west facing roof will, effectively, be in the shadow of the wall above it until midday. In the case of the south-facing plus west-facing quote, I wonder about the effect of the chimney shadow as it moves across the south-facing roof.

Anyone got any thoughts on the relative merits of the two proposals?

TIA.

Just to add a little more into the equation, the roofs have a 23º pitch rather than the optimal 30º.

Most UK installers are not that competent and their main interest is to cover anything they can in panels and wire them all up in series. The customer doesn't find out how useless this is for a year or so by which time "PV Panels Dagenham Ltd" has become "PV Panels Dagenham (2012) Ltd" (with the same owners, premises, products and cars) and you have nowhere to go for recompense.

On a simple experiment using a high quality BP Mono crystalline panel of about 0.75 sq/m putting your hand anywhere on the panel in bright sunlight reduced the output by about 80&. Shadows kill PV. The "monkey see- monkey do" programs the PV sellers carry with them are not effective at modeling shadowing as it is both too complex and commercially unattractive (reality would put too many buyers off).

PV is a daft technology in the UK to begin with, it only "works" because of the ridiculous subsidies being ploughed into it in the hope that in a few years time we can tell the European Onion we have x square hectares of PV on cellar roofs and will they please not fine us (they will anyway).

Find somewhere with no shadows if you must. If you still want to decorate the roof with garden gnomes make sure the installer wires the non shadow panels as a set in series and the shadowed panels as another set in series and then wires both sets in parallel. At least this way the shadowed garden gnomes will not seriously affect the non-shadowed gnomes. Unfortunately this will also blow the brain cell of most installers who can't do anything more than rig everything up as a big series string - which like a water hose means any pinch point (shadow) stops the whole array functioning effectively (or as effectively as it can).

Reply to
Peter Parry

In message , Peter Parry writes

On a purely pedantic note Companies house will no longer accept such a delineator between two company names.

Reply to
hugh

In this case the Sun is right on that point. It has very low rainfall, less cloud cover and thus higher sun hours than places further south.

It was also the hottest place in the UK during the mini heatwave in October, except the met office no longer recognise the weather station at the airport despite it being perfectly acceptable to them for the past fifty years or so.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Must be the wrong sort of weather, I wonder if its got falling temps?

Reply to
dennis