PUZZLER???

No electrician worth his salt would insert/tighten/remove cables on a live circuit unless he has a death wish.Therefore,he should switch off the supply and check that the circuit is 'not live' before commencing work. Why then do I see electricians screwdrivers and pliers which claim to be 1000 volts fully insulated,or are these made purely for the idiots to use?

Reply to
Jack the Lad

Nonsense!

Sometimes you just *have* to work on live circuits, sometimes there just isn't a choice. It isn't that dangerous.

See above answer.

Reply to
Grunff

You are very much mistaken, live working is very common. It is sometimes the only way to work and is an essential part of fault finding.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You're not listening, are you, Harry?

FUCK OFF, you deaf old git.

Reply to
Treatyless Supinator

I presume you haven't worked on triac circuits with a cro? This is where you have to remove the cro earth lead and wear gloves to tweak the controls. Try it, it's fun ;)

Reply to
anyone

Here's another one for you. Many moons back, my old chap used to do small scale theatrical lighting. The dimmers were - galvanised buckets full of salt water connected to 240V live. Shovels connected to the bulbs. Dunk the shovels = brighter lights. Safe as houses, the shovels had wooden handles :D

Reply to
anyone

In message , Jack the Lad writes

I plumbed my new CU in live last year, no other option really

Where's the problem ?

Reply to
geoff

anyone wrote on Thursday (05/02/2004) :

Works equally well at 11Kv :D

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You have access to 11KV? That's convenient.

Reply to
Kathy Hillary

Good question. The 'leccy that did my extension added a new ring (spare way in the CU) and swapped a type B MCB for a type C on the downstairs lighting without turning the power off.

Due to a misunderstanding between him and my builder he only brought one type C MCB 'coz he didn't know we have separate up- and downstairs lighting circuits. He offered to cpme back and fit the other one but asked if I was happy to fit it myself (to save hime making a 40 mile rould trip) if he sent me an MCB. No problem - with the power off - but now I'm wondering if I can/should do it live. The CU is an MEM Memera2000

(scroll down for a "cover off" view). Having pulled the front cover off mine it seems I don't need to get my fingers any closer than 50mm to the hot stuff. What do you reckon? Should I do it live or not?

Reply to
Parish

If you have to ask you're obviously not confident\experienced\daft enough. Don't do it live. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Yep, that's exactly what I thought. Thanks for confirming it :-)

Reply to
Parish

Rubbish. Brushing a suspect cable with the back of a finger is a well-proven way to check whether it is live or not. Just make sure you're not standing in an earthed bucket of water at the time.

It is an extra safety level, just in case the circuit you isolated isn't the right one. I've worked on a 3-phase supply that I though was dead before discovering that one phase had an extra connection to the incoming main. As I was standing on 6mm thick rubber safety matting at the time, I didn't get a shock, even though I was working on a brass terminal with an uninsualted allen key.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

How do you think they joint cables in the street ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Do us a favour and give us a demonstartion.

Reply to
Phil Kyle