Problem mounting a kitchen cabinet

I need to mount a high-level kitchen cabinet - it's ready made, and comes with these fittings integrated into the cabinet:

(first picture - left hand fixing).

I've been supplied with two 65mm mounting plates, which have 3 screw holes. They are near on identical to eBay item: 280480083147.

My problem is that the left hand mounting plate needs to be mounted slap bang over where one of my ring main cables currently lies. I really don't want to mess around with the plastering, re-routing the cable, so have given up the idea of mounting the plate in that position.

The cabinet is going to be hung with walls at the back and right hand side - so I have scope for extra fixings on the right hand panel. But I really do still need to use the left hand hanging fitting. So I am thinking of getting one of the Indaux double wall mounting plates (on p.337 of that PDF), and then securing it in many places - but just not where that ring cable lies.

Is that likely to be suitable? I can fit a 400mm plate behind the cabinet. But I can't seem to buy these anywhere individually. Is there something equivalent that one of the main retailers stock for sale individually? As this is a high cupboard, we are also having a shelf and pelmet, so I have more scope for an extra fitting at the top of the LH panel too.

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

John Whitworth wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 12:36

Could you get someone to migweld those to a long flat bit of steel sheet and screw the sheet to the wall?

Or if there's enough adjustment in the hooks on the cabinet, bolt these clips to a 4mm thick bit of steel bar using countersuck machine screws from behind.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I don't know why they bother with these adjustable fittings. All I did was to mount a batten on the wall at a height suitable to support the cabinets (2x1000mm). The batten was a bull nose skirting upside down. At the top I ignored the fancy levellers and purchased four fairly hefty steel brackets from a local building supplies firm and screwed them internally to the sides and back of the cabinet , a large masonry screw into the wall. The bottom of the cabinet was fixed to the batten using a

20x20mm white painted aluminium angle. The batten determines the height of the cabinets so no adjustment necessary,also it's easier to offer cabinets to wall as most of the weight rests on the batten when lifting into position.
Reply to
Donwill

SWMBO will not let me add any extra visible fixings... All extra fixings that I've been doing have been hidden either behind shelves or behind the hinge plates - or are out of sight.

Reply to
John Whitworth

That might be the best bet if I can't find a source for the mounting bracket.

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Tell her the cabinets might fall on her if they are not fixed properly. :-)

I'll try and get some pics (for you to show her) on one of those piccy sites but I'm not very good at uploading etc so it might be tomorrow before I manage it, and the sun's just come out and the rain has stopped so I'm back on the roof. :-\

Don

Reply to
Donwill

John Whitworth wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 14:02

It is stupid that they don't seem to make full length brackets with lots of fixing holes for exactly this situation.

I planned my cable routes with extreme care to try to avoid this problem, but it's another and I think unnecessary complication!

Reply to
Tim Watts

mount a batten on the wall at a height suitable to

down. At the top I ignored the fancy levellers and

firm and screwed them internally to the sides and back

cabinet was fixed to the batten using a 20x20mm white

necessary,also it's easier to offer cabinets to wall as most of

I've been doing have been hidden either behind

Get a grip John, I bet Sir Joseph didn't tolerate that from his wife ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

Ah yes...but he gave a really good screw! :-)

Reply to
John Whitworth

This is what you need - only place I've ever found it though!

Peter Andrews

Length of DIN-rail might do?

Adrian C

I don't know if this will work but I think this will be a link to the 3 photos of kitch cabs showing top fixing, and angle fixing to support bearer.

Donwill

Peter Andrews wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 14:51

Finally! Well done that man :)

Bookmarked...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Adrian C wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 14:59

An idea - it may not be far off the usual dimensions...

Reply to
Tim Watts

> Peter

Excellent! Many thanks! I thought there had to be something available somewhere.

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

I normally mount a set of cabinets directly on top of a batten. You can put cup-hooks in it to hang spoons, whisks, etc.

Reply to
newshound

> Peter At a price differential of £9.70:£25 incl shipping (though with the latter, I can spend £4.70 on something else to meet free shipping which would otherwise be £5), I can't help thinking I'm way off the mark here - but is this the same thing?

John Whitworth