Primer coat on external timber

Hi. A painter advised me to mix in 10% turps into the primer coat for new external timbers. I've only ever seen turpentine substitute on the shelves until yesterday when I saw a bottle of Rustins Pure Turpentine. This product is aimed at oil colour artists...bottle says its a 'pure gum turpentine' Is the 'pure' stuff the better method for us non arty farty citizens?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
D55

When your painter bod said 'turps' he meant turps substitute or white spirit, either will suffice to thin the primer and alow it to soak in a bit more.

I wouldn't waste money on turpentine.

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks. Should I put an unthinned coat of primer/undercoat on top of the first?

Arthur

Reply to
D55

Best thing you've done is manage to get solvent based primer for your new wood (The water based stuff raises the grain and spoils all the preparation you just did, and then doesn't dry or even stick very well.). It wouldn't hurt to put another coat on, in case your first thin coat missed any bits. Good to hear someone wanting to do the job thoroughly.

Spamlet

It's entirely up to you, for external timbers I normally prime with a thin coat, then two coats of undercoat and one coat of gloss, but if you want to give it 2 coats of primer and then 1 each of u/c and gloss then that would be fine.

Reply to
Phil L

The best primer for wood - by a country mile - is the Dulux Weather shield stuff

Green thin

great pentetration good preservative action

Bloody expensive

chris

Reply to
chris