Pressure Testing Rads and Keston air intake

Agreed. Both techniques have their uses: it's very easy to fill up a typical sealed system with water and if it's clean water then small leaks don't do any harm, but as you say you do not want to get water in the system if you have soldered joints in a section that's hard to empty out if you need to re-solder it, and you don't have the hassle of draining out water after air testing.

One thing I think might be worth trying is a bubble chamber (not the sort particle physicists use :-) between the pump and the pipework to detect (though not locate) leaks.

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ The astronomer married a star

Reply to
John Stumbles

Nearby is the obvious placement for the therminals. 200mm IIRC is the minimum seperation for the terminals, not on opposite sides of the building is the 'maximum'.

For my own home, I draw the air in from the passageway under the house. The flue terminal faces skywards from the top of the flat roof (which means no air space violations with pluming).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The manufacturers instructions always override the general rules and advise in normative documents. I'm not sure if a room sealed device may ever draw it's air from anywhere other than outside, and of course in practice it won't since the air intake is part of the flue.

IIRC it is possible for a _conventionally_ flued appliance to draw its commbustion air via a roof space allowing for the fact that such air is not directly from outside and this the ventialtion areas would all be doubled.

For the Keston: Page 12 section 2.8.4 is underlined and states the air intake must be located oputside of the building. Whilst a hotshot lawyer might argue that a roof space is outside the manufacturers and the CORGI inspector would not. Ergo it's got to go outside.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Not in any house builtr to modern regs. It howle through the vents.

Not sure who Cols is, or why one would want to force his air through any vents, but rooves implemented to modern regs present very little impedance to wind of any sort.

Dryer, but otherwise exactly as cold as outside.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher