Power line clearance

Afternoon all!

Does anybody have to hand a copy of the Energy Networks Association technical document 43-8 about overhead line clearances - or can give me the correct figure for the clearance required between normal 3- phase supplies and "unclimbable structures" such as trees.

Many thanks

MAT

5azx1
Reply to
MAT

I can't help on the 43-8 but

Department of Trade and Industry Management of Vegetation Near Overhead Power Lines has the paragraph:

"The electricity industry already works to a national standard for safe distances between overhead power lines and trees. These vary according to the voltage level at which the power lines operate but other factors also come into consideration, such as determining whether a tree is deemed to be climbable. The range of clearances that apply vary between 0.8m (for lower voltage lines close to non-climbable trees) and 5.3m (for 400kV lines close to climbable trees)."

My industry (forestry) quotes a "vicinity zone" but doesn't define it:

Nominal system voltage ((kV)Minimum distance for vicinity zone (metres) Up to and including 1 kV 1 m Exceeding 1 kV but not exceeding 11 kV 2 m Exceeding 11 kV but not exceeding 33 kV 2.5 m Exceeding 33 kV but not exceeding 66 kV 3 m Exceeding 66 kV but not exceeding 132 kV 3.5 m Exceeding 132 kV but not exceeding 275 kV 4 m Exceeding 275 kV but not exceeding 400 kV 5 m

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I'd found that after I posted here - but annoyingly it just gives the extremes rather than some of the intervening figures.

[figures snipped]

Thanks for that data - it is of some help.

MAT

Reply to
MAT

Wonder what the regs say about a new build close to a large pylon - grid I'd say. Just happened to notice part of a new development on the old Wimbledon Football ground in Plough Lane seems to be very close. I'll bet those flats don't sell easily.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Thats interesting, theres a lot of railway overhead line at 25 kV that I'll bet is closer then that to where you could touch it!..

If the price is right they will Dave...

Reply to
tony sayer