Potterton Profile problem

The only boiler PCB I know of that has been totally redesigned is one of the ones in a Baxi Barcelona. The replacement (well over £100) comes with a new wiring harness since the board has different connections.

They must have been really desperate to do that.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Well no, because she needs to be rewarded for being the entrepreneur. They miss out the "de pompes funebres" bit.

It comes from the same book as the old one where the little boy is asked what he wants for Christmas and he asks for a cowboy outfit. So his dad bought him (insert your favourite TV manufacturer or parliamentary party,.

.and there's really no excuse for that at all

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes and no. A radical redesign involving radical component swap out funded by the end customer pays for the rework and keeps the installers happy as well.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

There must be a gag here somewhere, let me think, something about cowboy outfits and dogs, ahh got it! CORGI.

Reply to
James Hart

In message , Andy Hall writes

What I don't understand about counting pennies is how you can charge about £100 for e.g. a Netaheat or Profile pcb which carries a couple of dozen components

The worst offence which boiler pcb designers commit (IMHO) is the direct switching of reactive loads (fans, gas valves etc) without the use of any kind of snubber to reduce relay contact wear.

The worst offence which I see in the manufacturing process is the really rubbish soldering, especially on Molex connectors

Of course each pcb has it's own weak points, and I have difficulty understanding why these are quite often not addressed when they produce a new issue of that board ... unless of course, no it can't be true, that they don't build them to last - heaven forbid

Reply to
geoff

The Glowworm Micron has recently been completely redesigned too (and they don't have any stock). There are a few others for example the Maxol Microturbo

Reply to
geoff

In message , tarquinlinbin writes

They don't explode, they "pre-ignite"

Reply to
geoff

A diode costs what - less than 1p in bulk? Perhaps they want it to fail - just out of warranty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

No, they couldn't possibly be doing that, could they ?

Reply to
geoff

Big snip for brevity

It is strangle that the Potterton profile still suffers from exploding boiler syndrome,just like its predecessor,the potterton netaheat.

I visited one only the other week which had exploded in the night. There wasnt much left of it worth saving.

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Bugger bums, just bought a house (for letting) with one of these fitted. Do you know why it needed the redesign/what the usual fault was?

-- Mark's Signature Free Zone. No Random wordily Quotations No attempt at infantile Humour And no Tedious Home-pages :-)

Reply to
Mark

I hope you got a discount off the purchase price equivalent to the full cost of a replacement boiler. 8-(

It's not a combi so hopefully there's an immersion heater somewhere.

The good news is that the unit is probably young enough to qualify for a maintenance contract with a large company who specialize in such things. This is likely money well spent .

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thought the Netaheat was a pretty reliable boiler?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I suppose when it explodes it's still providing heating of sorts, might be a pain interfacing that with an optimising chronotherm though :)

Reply to
James Hart

LOL But I would still be interested in knowing what the fault was the demanded such drastic action. Forewarned is forearmed

Reply to
Mark

We are talking here about a Barcelona. These boilers are not the greatest of designs. I have no idea what the fault was that caused them to go for a total redesign. The fault that caused me to have to exchange one was because it failed to drive the combustion fan, (if I had blindly followed the fault finding guide I would have replaced the fan).

The new board has so far continued to work (about 15 months and still going - so far).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for the info, so far I've been very lucky with CH boilers and only had pump/timer failures in rented houses/flats. Which I've been able to fix myself. Looks like I well have to line up a reliable CH engineer to handle all the electronics on these modern contraptions. Alternatively I may buy up all the remaining stock of non-condensing non-elec, gravity feed boilers I can find ! probably be cheaper in the long run :-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark