natural gas furnace won't stay on

I have a natural gas furnace that won't stay on. The pilot is lit and the burners come on, a few seconds later the fan starts and runs for no more than a minute and then it stops. The burners sometimes go out before the fan stops or the fan never comes on at all. I can turn the fan on at the control and have it run with out a problem, but that is just circulating the air and not heating it. I think the fan is controlled by it's own thermostat. Once the thermostat in the house starts the burners a thermostat in the furnace turns on the fan when it reaches a certain temp to blow the warm air through the ducts. Does this sound right? Could this be where my problem lies? Could it be as simple as a loose wire to that particular thermostat? We had a service guy come and look at it and tell it us it's just old & inefficient and it'll be about a grand to replace. I had the Gas Company out last week to replace my meter with a higher flow model due to a recent swimming pool installation. He checked all our gas appliances after the replacement and everything including the furnace worked fine. The furnace started having trouble over a week later, I doubt the problem was caused or triggered by anything he did since the furnace worked fine for over a week. Help a cold Californian please, yes it gets cold in CA. I'm in SoCal, high desert area, last weekend we had single digit temps (rare). Thank God it worked then.

Reply to
frank1711

buffalobill

There's a safety thermostat in the furnace that is intended to shut down on furnace overtemperature. If yours is failing or has a loose connection, it might be the culprit. Or you could just replace the whole furnace. Or move (further) south.

Reply to
Roby

Could be the fan control is set too high and just needs tweaked down a little.

-Felder

Reply to
Felder