Polycell flexible seal

I am about to remove some Polycell flexible seal from between my kitchen work top to the wall tiles behind. The reason being, the seal has lifted up the wall behind the hob.

If I end up with adhesive on the wall, outside the profile of the old seal, how can I remove it, so that it does not show above an identical seal that I propose to fit? What solvent will get rid of the adhesive etc?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Google for silicone sealant remover. But I would use masking tape to prevent excess adhesive (do you mean sealant?) getting on the wall in the first place.

Reply to
DIY

You need to be a bit clearer in your description, I haven't got a clue what you are talking about...'the seal has lifted up the wall'? - do you mean the worktop has sunk or the wall has grown?

The next part is undecipherable...

Where is the sealant now?

Where is it going to be?

What 'adhesive' are you intending to fit before / after / during the sealant application?

Reply to
Phil L

Sorry, but I thought by naming the seal that you would know what I was talking about.

The seal comes on a roll with a self adhesive backing. It can be bent to

90 degrees along its length, to fit close to the work top and the tiled wall. You remove one half of the backing paper and it sticks to one surface without sticking to the other. You then remove the backing from the other edge and complete the sticking down of the seal.

I see what you mean now :-)

It comes on the seal when it it bought and is a very aggressive type of stuff.

Hopefully, still on the back of the seal and in the correct place on the wall/wortop.

None, other than the one that comes with the seal.

If you still do not follow what I am using, next time you visit one of the sheds, look the product up. Packaging is about 6 by 7 inches, the usual blue/white and is described as 'Sealant' 'For bathrooms and kitchens' The easy way to a neat watertight result.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'm not using silicone sealant, but the adhesive that comes on the back of the seal from the package.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I understand what type of seal now thanks to Phil's questions.

Do you mean 'how do I get the old seal off before I fit the new one'?

In which case, elbow grease and a scraper like this

link has the wrong picture, apparently someone at Screwfix confused a scraper with a mop. Get some spare blades.

Meths helps get rid of most old adhesive & sealant.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

this job ;-) I was wondering what to use to get rid of the last bits of the adhesive. Any that was left would pick up dirt very soon.

Thanks for the advice on using meths. I've got lots of that, so I'll start the job this week.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If not meths, then try white spirit

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Are you intending to replace just part of it or all of it?

You need a scraper that takes a stanley blade, this will remove 90% of it, then use a solvent to remove the backing, nail polish remover is best for silicone based adhesives.

Reply to
Phil L

Aha! Not tried that, is it better than meths?

Nail polish remover used to be acetone, but I believed they changed it - some to do with H&S no doubt. I recall my daughters complaining the new stuff didn't work as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I am happy with that :-)

I have half a litre of acetone upstairs. I just wish that I still had the gallon of M.E.K. that I stashed away some years ago :-(

I tried the meths and it looks like working, but it may be hard work if I can't scrape as much adhesive as I possibly can. I have no problem with the right scraper, just the time it might take me.

Dave

Reply to
Dave