Plumbing: Fixed power pump, adjusting flow rate?

Hi

I have a water pump which (AFAIK) cannot have it's output varied electrically, but I need to be able to make fine adjustments to the flow rate of water output from it.

I was wondering, could I use a valve, or two to achieve this with a flow and return type setup?

Something like this? Output (higher-up than return) /\ ------ | ? optional valve here? SRC--->pump in|PUMP|out---->| | ------ | /\ X (valve) | | |-------------/---------- (return flow) \

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
MarkMc

It depends on the type of pump. However, most pumps would be quite happy having a simple valve/tap on the outlet line that can vary the flow rate. Shower pumps work in this fashion.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I bought the pump reconditioned, but I've just found out a little bit more about it. It's food grade, so I assume it's a magnetic drive?

Interestingly, the pump has a 'bypass' at the front which may be usable for this?

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
MarkMc

I'm afraid this is beyond my experience. Perhaps the manufacturer has a website with technical details?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The output can be varied electrically, you need a variable frequency drive, which costs 50-100 quid on ebay. A bypass valve will work just fine though.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thanks

I found out a little bit more about the pump. It's self priming, food grade (magnetic drive?), and has a bypass at the front. I'm assuming I can use this with a valve and return pipe?

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
MarkMc

Oops, looks like my first post did eventually make it. Thanks for the help, I'll go for the bypass valve route.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
MarkMc