Plumbers - Questions about 'inline strainers'

These blighters obviously 'strain' the water flowing through them, bu

are they designed to allow removal and cleaning of collected debris?

If installed on a pressurised system and you can access the filter will water not **** out and the pressure is lost when cleaning?

Do inline strainers have an arrow indicating the direction of fittin shown on them

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

Yes. The filter gauze can be removed for cleaning (and is usually angled out of the flow to allow the crud to settle thus minimising blocking).

It would, however this is mitigated by fitting isolating valves either side. You will of course still lose a small amount of water (and hence pressure).

Mine does. This is presumably due to the filter being cylindrical and hence the water flow is important if the benefits of my first line regarding it being angled are to be realised (water essentially enters through the open top end of the gauze and leaves through the sides).

(Part # 7533, second image down)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Cheers Mat. Just as I suspected

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

More of a problem on a CH system is that when they've caught quite a small amount of crud they block the flow quite badly. You'll notice it eventually when the boiler cycles on and off but the system doesn't get up to a good temperature everywhere. If you've got a system with a fair amount of crud in it you may be better off with one of these magnaclean jobbies. I haven't tried one but the advertisements speak highly of them :-) And no doubt you-know-who will be along soon to say how wonderful they are (based on the same evidence).

Reply to
John Stumbles

If you referring to Stumbly man you are talking out of your botty again.

I have used them in action. Fernox make a similar type of model. I ran the system for 1/2 hour and the crap it collected was awesome, even after desludger had been in the system for a week. I ran for another day and still it collected brown crap. I ran for a week and still it was collecting the stuff. After about 10 days it tailed right off. They also collect other non-magnetic solids too as the water enters a small drum and spirals around with solids dropping to the bottom. Wear gloves and keep the brown gunge from your clothes. When cleaning, thoroughly wipe the insides of the chamber.

They are expensive for what they are, but worth it to protect a new boiler and the system too. I would hope the price would come down. I would advise that every boiler change and new system have one. Except you of course. You should not fit one, as you don't think they work.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Are you a looney, or just hard of reading? I think that John was suggesting that they are efficacious.

Why are you letting your system get that bad, though?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, the Scaffold said that word in Lilly the Pink.

Matt, not my system.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel