Plastic hot water cylinders?

You didn't seem to like it when it was given.

Oh look, another psychic.

Still haven't quite escaped from being a teenager, have you? Although I've known three year olds with better control of their temper than you just demonstrated.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:56:55 +0100, Derek Geldard mused:

I thought that but then after I've had to saw many a tank into 2 or 4 pieces to get it out of the loft, maybe not.

Reply to
Lurch

Galvanised metal ?

I'm certain I've seen plastic ones that can be folded up to get them through.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Wine boxes?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:37:45 +0100, Derek Geldard mused:

And plastic.

Then shape doesn't come into if you're to fold it and ram it through the hatch. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

I was being a bit circumspect. :-)

Noting that the plastic tank in my loft which went in as a new build is quite rigid, I'd doubt it could be folded to get through the hatch.

There would obviously be a good market for a replacement tank that could be squashed through an existing loft opening. The old galvanised tank could be left up there.

DG .

Reply to
Derek Geldard

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:06:47 +0100, Derek Geldard mused:

I wouldn't want to fill a tank with water and leave it to it's own devices after I'd folded it then opened it out again.

Generally if there is a space to get a tank through, and you need a bigger tank, you fit more than 1.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes, that's what made me circumspect. ;-)

But then it's 2,007. Crappier ideas have come to fruition, such as fastening DG windows with builder's foam.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Those tanks were fitted during construction. Its only retrofit tanks that need to go thru the hatch.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On 10 Apr 2007 22:37:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com mused:

So things that are smaller than a hole are made to go through that hole, but things larger than a hole are made to not go through it?

Perhaps they were never 'designed' to go through a hatch, but it just so happens that they do? It also depends how big your loft hatch is. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

Having thought about this. There are probably quite a few problems with using a plastic vented HW cylinder.

1) The vessel must be strong enough that it can hold the maximum pressure say 2.5 bar at the boiling point of water at that pressure. That might be 150C (??) This is probably not technically impossible with the right material and sufficient wall thickness. A compliant vessel might be rather heavy (and use a lot of plastic in its manufacture) and not be all that economic unless Cu was yet more expensive still? 2) There will need to be access ports (inlet, outlet, perhaps secondary return, two immersion heater holes, and one or more indirect coils. These might need to be metallic (perhaps moulded inserts?) to withstand the stresses of the connectors or making the connections. 3) There might be differential expansion between the cylinder and the metal connections which could be a source of leakage. 4) Whilst lower corrosion and heat losses are potential benefits there will be a large segment of the market which resists the change (subtly aided and abetted by Cu manufacturers). This could easily take many years (consider how some posters view plastic pipe and unvented cylinders!) during this time Cu prices would have to remain at a steady significant high level. 5) I'm only vaguely aware of the reasons for current high Cu prices. IIRC it's the Chinese buying it up to make tat. Is Zimbabwe/Mugabe part of the picture? If the latter is true what might happen in due course? Mining Corporations will start to exploit the lower grade ore/sites when prices are high this will have a corrective balance in time. 6) The trend for stored HW is toward unvented or heat banks and away from vented or vented/pumped technologies.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

surely fibre cement is cheaper as well as tougher than plastics.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

secondary

coils.

withstand

change

unvented

Could use up all that surplus asbestos fibre that's not being used these days and save the copper

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson