Phosphate dosing unit with high flow rate?

Can anyone recommend a phosphate dosing unit for scale inhibition, that has 22mm connections and can cope with a high flow rate (i.e. for whole house use not a single appliance)?

Reply to
John Rumm

HI John We have a dosing unit on our well-water (for pH rather than phosphates)

- but I'd imagine the same kit with different chemicals would do the same job.

Consists of an inline meter, a control box / pump (which counts pulses from the meter and squirts in a shot of chemical at preset intervals) and a dosing unit that takes flow in / flow out and dosing chemical.

If you want manufacturer's name / no then I can go check it for you - but I'd imagine any company dealing with well water installations would know what you need.

So far, ours has worked well (electronics got toasted by a close lightning strike a few years back & had to be replaced).. The only irritation is that the 'chemical low' indication is only a tiny LED on the dosing unit - which tends to go unnoticed... until the bathwater turns green (as our natural well-water is round-about pH5 before treatment, and eats the hot water cylinder).

On my list is a more obvious indicator - preferably visible from outside the shed that houses the kit!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

why not use a water softener?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've fitted a couple of the ones from this page - different maker, but identical.

seem to do the job. Until I can be arsed fitting one to my own place, I just suspend a net bag of polyphosphate crystals in the cold water tank.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yup, that looks plausible - 38 lpm @ 5 bar (which co-incidentally is our mains pressure)

Since I am about to rip the cold tank out, that is probably not going to help in this case ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I did contemplate that... I even have a nice Mexico II sized space it could go in ;-)

However SWMBO is not as keen on water that does not rinse as easily, and in the grand scheme of things, I could do without the cost of a decent one at the mo!

Reply to
John Rumm

Culligan SFWH1, Screwfix 20351 IIRC, about £40.

3/4" Female connections. Connections are actually a fiddle - if you try anything but the 3/4" M-M plastic adapters supplied you risk stripping the threads.

Crystals last forever & cheap to replace

Reply to
YAPH

Yup, got one today ta.

Seems like a slightly odd arrangement... would it not have been easier to make with tap connector ready male ends on it?

Reply to
John Rumm