Petrol chainsaw question

I have a 12 year old Ryobi RCS4450C which has stopped feeding chain oil. It looks to me as though there might be some sort of pump on the crankshaft behind the drive sprocket and the centrifugal clutch (I only have a low-res exploded diagram, with parts labelled but no "key"). Before I do any more dismantling (it took a while to get this far) can anyone confirm I am likely to be right? I'm assuming that most petrol chainsaws have similar layouts.

TIA

Reply to
newshound

I had some luck with image searches for '<chainsaw type> Parts List'. (yes, on the one here, the pump is behind the clutch, near the drive gear, but finding all the screws you'd have to loosen is a matter of luck without a proper diagram)

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Any useful info here:

ss

What I tend to do in such situations is just loosen them until you can see or feel play on all of them. I have never dismantled a chainsaw, but other mechanical bits and pieces like aerial rotators and old videos seem to have similar issues with which screw is doing what! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Yes, very helpful thanks. Same diagram as I have, but they have a comprehensive parts list that links to the drawing, confirming the location of the pump. And they claim to have all the spares.

Reply to
newshound

You are right, yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Eventually got it out, plastic worm gear on crankshaft damaged, new one ordered. Still got lots of loose and attached bits, plus numerous screws. Reassembling is going to be fun!

Reply to
newshound

What usually happens is wood chips get in the tank and block/damage the pump.

Reply to
harry

Thanks. Pump seems to be OK as is the "in" pipe but I have yet to check that the "out" pipe and nozzle is clear.

Reply to
newshound