Persistent herbicides

Are there any available for public use now that sodium chlorate is banned? I'd like not to have to spray my concrete yard (or at least, the gaps between the slabs) and my gravel drive with glyphosate (*) every few weeks.

(* And it looks like that's days are numbered. Time to stock up.)

Reply to
Huge

Wiki:

Industrially, sodium chlorate is produced by the electrolysis of a hot sodium chloride solution:[6]

NaCl + 3 H2O ? NaClO3 + 3 H2:

This reaction progresses in heat (at least 70 degrees Celsius), and controlled pH. In lower temperature or with high pH another reaction progresses: 2 NaCl + H2O ? NaClO + NaCl + H2

So a bucket of salt solution with an element in it to heat it, a dash of hydrochloric acid (brick acid) to keep the PH low, and a few solar panels...watch out for the outgassing hydrogen though.

When the bubbles stop you should end up with a strong solution of chlorate and a little bit of brick acid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But don't let your trousers explode.

Reply to
Andy Burns

:-) Ive got beagle life ....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ebay is your friend.

It's probably got stuff in it which inhibits certain reaction paths, but it will work for what you want it for. "Wegerein" means "Clear Path" or "Clean Path".

40% chlorate, it says. 6kg Wegerein Steinreiniger Reinigungsmittel ohne Glyphosat + Unkrautvernichter
43?

Wegerein 2,4 Kg 2 Dosen a 1,2 kg

23?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I have a similar need. I need to have some fly tipped stuff removed and want to stop weed growth when this has been done. Surely there has to be something out there that works, where is agent Orange when you need it? :-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes indeed. it sounds pretty dangerous. What was that stuff we used to mix with sugar toblow stuff up with? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That appears to be in German, so how can one decipher it and if they can get their hands on it why not us legally. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Pathclear is the stuff usually recommended.

AIUI it has two actions: it kills existing weeds fairly quickly (probably glyphosate-based these days), and it also contains a long lasting poison that kills seedlings as they germinate. When it was originally produced, several years ago, it was very effective. But it contained something that Brussels didn't like, so was reformulated. I believe it's less effective than it was, but probably good enough for the rest of this so-called 'summer'.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Electrodes? Platinum is probably a touch over budget, but carbon might be ok. As a lad I used to use the carbon rod from the centre of old dry batteries for that sort of thing. Not sure what the +ve electrode is these days. Quite good for sparks and arcs as well!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Looks like you can buy Sodium Chlorate solution on ebay, as long as you agree not to kill weeds with it. Your secret's safe with us.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

At enormous cost. Oh, well, that's Government price controls for you.

Reply to
Huge

+1
Reply to
Malcolm Race

This is UK.DIY-speak for: "Doesn't kill you within seconds, so it's safe." :)

Reply to
GB

Look at Reach for some brussels nonsense on chemical safety. Or at the glyphosate issue.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Use highway deicing salt.

Reply to
harry

The old formulation was fine but it contained Simazine (sp?) which is no longer considered OK for consumer use. Too persistent and potent.

Bayer have a formulation that is alledged to be slightly better.

I tend to hit the worst bit of path with whatever is left of any weedkiller I happen to have been using.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Do you really believe that leaving the EU will help? Our expert committees are one of the main sources of the Brussels safety nonsense. They may even get worse!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Worth noting that both Pathclear and the new Bayer formulation were reduced by 75% in my local Tesco's today so I got some of the Bayer.

Might even give it a try accepting that the persistent component will tend to wash out in a wet winter but anticipating another extended growing season. I still had pelargoniums and roses in flower at Xmas the last two years and could have had rhubarb crumble for Xmas pud!

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown