Patio gradient

Is there any reason why a patio should have a gradient of 1:10 instead of (AIUI) the more usual 1:50 to 1:100?

Reply to
Grumps

My mistake. My new patio is 1:60.

Reply to
Grumps

Topography?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The message from "Grumps" contains these words:

You live in a monsoon area? Or perhaps someone was too idle to dig it all out properly?

Reply to
Guy King

No, my brain didn't work when I was calculating the gradient of the finished patio. I measured the width in cm and divided by the drop in mm. The actual gradient is 1:60.

Reply to
Grumps

suggests 1:40 to 1:80 so you are about spot on.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If I remember correctly the bubble on a good level will give you the slope. When the bubble is on one of the lines it is 1:400.

I've got a 6 ft level (actually 70 inches) that has two pairs of lines on each bubble. The inner pair are just a tad over the meniscus giving an extremely accurate reading. The outer pair show a slope the thickness of just under 7/8" (actually 3 x 2p; 4 x 10p and 4 x 1p coins.)

That's about 22mm in 1780mm. What's that? 1:81? That's an hell of a slope. I wonder where I got the 1:400 from?

As a rough comparison: The river Severn has an o/a slope of 620 metres (what's that in English?) in 220 miles.

that. Let's see..

678.04 yards in 387200 yards is a ratio of 1: 571.05
the Severn is navigable to Shrewsbury. See what happens when you don't put me in the killfile? Everybody learns something, even me. At least you know now that there is nothing on the telly atm. 50 metres at the Monkmoor side:
wonder what that fall is. Knock about 40 miles off. That's more lik it: 326800 / 54.68 is a drop of 1 in 5793.71.

Bloody hell! I wonder how wales is still there with a slope of 670 in

40 miles.

Where is my TV guide?...

Reply to
Weatherlawyer