Paint and putty

My window frames are a disgrace. The old stain has peeled off and the putty is cracked and falling out. I'd like to match the frames colour to our timber conservatory which was done in a water based product - Sikkens Cetol BL Opaque. Am I right that if I use linseed putty I have to paint it to stop it drying out? And that the Sikkens product probably won't stick to linseed putty, nor would it stop the putty drying out? Would the Sikkens product work with an acrylic putty? Grateful for any help or suggestions!

Reply to
tonkski

You might be better painting it with a roughly matching gloss oil paint but, if one lot of putty has dried out, chances are the new lot will too. Acrylic putty is immeasurably superior IMO but I don't seem to see it on the shelves any more. You could probably use the cartridge type of filler as a substitute. Silicone is ok if the rebate isn't too deep but it tends to pick up all the grime from the atmosphere.

Reply to
stuart noble

Try Wickes:

Bruce

I bought some about 6 months ago easily enough - from a local hardware store IIRC.

Reply to
chris French

Thanks

Reply to
stuart noble

use on it?

Reply to
tonkski

It isn't fussy at all. Oil based or water based, no problem.

Reply to
Bruce

Prime the putty in oil.

Reply to
ransley

IME, painting traditional putty with gloss paint results in the paint surface going all crinkly if you do it too soon, before the putty has had a chance to dry out to some degree. I think it will dry out slowly anyway regardless of what you do.

Not used any putty since the newer types appeared, so can't comment on them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel