Overhead mains feed outdoors - rules?

OK, I know Part P applies, but still.....

What are the rules/requirements for overhead cables? I want to run a short feed to a shed from the existing consumer unit in our garage. It will (probably) be 2.5sq mm run from a 20 amp RCBO. The overhead bit will only be two or three metres.

So is it OK to run standard T&E cable in flexible plastic conduit, the ribbed stuff, and suspend it from a catenary wire. ... or would it be better to use SWA, naked or in conduit as above?

Are there any specific rules about maximum span etc.?

Reply to
Chris Green

T&E in conduit (I think you mean Kopex or similar) will be fine. I would probably use naked SWA. Both need a catenary wire.

Reply to
ARW

My neighbour has T&E cable tied to steel cable over 8 metres or so. It would have been installed by a tradesman.

I'd use SWA if it stood much chance of being knocked accidentally, otherwise your way sounds ok. You can get red plastic round conduit which shows up well (though not corrugated AFAIC).

Reply to
newshound

On 26/01/2019 10:25, newshound wrote: <snip>>

Over 8 metres I'd be inclined to look at NYY-J as a bit lighter and (for me at least) easier to work with. Can be bought by the metre like SWA.

And (with apologies if it's the bleeding obvious) they're all solid conductors so need to be fitted so they don't flex (sic) in the wind.

Reply to
Robin

OK, thanks all. I might go with SWA then, I think I have some 'in stock'. As I said it's only going to be a two or three metre span.

Reply to
Chris Green

Mine's about 2m, FT&E supported with green-coated garden wire from Wickes (steel but easy to manipulate) and a couple of vine eyes. Probably withstand a gentle knock from a ladder. The FT&E that was replaced had been there for ~30 years and was still flexible - but I cut it up so that it was useless.

Reply to
PeterC

Just being outside no longer brings it into the category of "notifiable" jobs for part P now.

Either is ok, I would probably use SWA.

As long as its properly supported then its fine.

Reply to
John Rumm

If I were doing it, I'd probably consider running SWA in Unistrut.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker