Oven failure

The main oven on our twin oven Baumatic range has failed - no lights, fan, electric power. It's only 18 months old and is the second thing to go wrong - one of the gas outlets on top also failed. We have an engineer booked but they charge call out and labour (outrageous for such a new item I feel) although I think there's a five year parts warranty.

Question is - if I maange to pull it out is there likely to be a simple fix such as a fuse round the back?

M.

Reply to
marcb

Yes, there probably is a "fuse round the back". But you'd be a fool to simply replace a fuse with another since the original one must have gone for some reason. Have you checked the main house fusebox first (often the oven is on a separate circuit)? You'd be advised to turn off the juice at the main fusebox before hauling out the oven anyway: you don't know what you are about to encounter so tis better to be over-cautious than early-dead.

Doesn't sound like a serious problem, but then having said that...

HTH

Mungo

Reply to
mungoh

No, there is no simple user repairable parts on an oven. Leave it to the engineer you have booked.

Reply to
BigWallop

warranty.

The fix will probably be simple, but youll need a multimeter to trace whats going on, and where its going wrong. Up for it? Meter tools and parts will almost certainly cost less than a callout.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Our oven which was in the house when we moved in 8 years ago seems to blow either the grille or the oven element every two or three years. Replacement is relatively straightforward, the elements costing twenty or so quid over the internet shopping.

So in my case it is a replacement, not a repair, of a failed part.

Guessing from the tone of the original post it may be cheaper and safer in the long run to call an engineer this time.

Mungo

Reply to
mungoh

Contact the retailer and ask them to get it repaired. Under the "Sales and Supply of Goods Act" they have a liability for up to 6 years. IANAL. They should pay for this!

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

My New World cooker packed in (3A fuse blown). I replaced it with another but it went completely a few weeks later. A replacement blew immediately and I finally traced it to a short circuit in the gas shut off solenoid. I got a new one from a local supplier and the cooker works fine. Do not under any circumstance replace the fuse with a higher one.

Reply to
group_stuff_etc