Oval door lock cylinder

What are the better brands of Oval door lock cylinders? (To fit to an aluminium door.)

Are there any brands to avoid?

Reply to
Michael Chare

By "oval" do you mean a eurolock?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ahh! I was wondering what an oval cylinder was! ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oval locks are like Eurolocks but just have an oval profile. No large bit at the top.

However as many manufacturers do both and the locks are similar an answer about Eurolocks would likely be just as good.

Reply to
Michael Chare

As locks are unlikely to be picked probably your best bet is one that has anti snap and anti bump.

Reply to
ss

Well, there *is* the Union type

Reply to
Andy Burns

Intriguing - I don't think I've seen an oval lock... Sorry - I don't have much experience with Eurolocks to recommend a make.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Probably means the overall shape.

Reply to
ss

Strictly I suppose they're not oval but a rectangle with rounded top and bo ttom - I remember seeing them long before I'd ever come across a Eurolock i n the UK; at that time they were not used much in domestic applications, m ainly commercial property, schools and so on. Other things being equal I'd expect them to be somewhat less vulnerable to snapping than eurolocks, since there's rather more metal left at the weakes t point.

Reply to
docholliday93

bottom - I remember seeing them long before I'd ever come across a Eurolock in the UK; at that time they were not used much in domestic applications, mainly commercial property, schools and so on.

o snapping than eurolocks, since there's rather more metal left at the weak est point.

Oval locks are similar to the very common eurobarrel locks (whose section l ooks a bit like a fat key hold). IIRC they are only made by Union and are somewhat expensive. So you may not have a lot of choice over brand.

Reply to
ed

On the ones I have seen there isn't enough extra metal to make any difference to snapping. Its not difficult to snap a eurolock so its not going to be difficult on an oval one.

Most of the oval ones I have seen are in shop doors and they don't stick out like many eurolocks and that does make them more difficult to snap.

Eurolocks appear to have been designed to be insecure in that they normally have a flimsy handle/cover that can be pulled off to allow easy access to the cylinder.

Reply to
dennis