OT: Why A'Mhoine ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44841123
I thought it was beneficial for space-launch sites to be as close to the equator as reasonably possible to benefit from the extra velocity provided by the rotating Earth. So why put one almost as far north as possible on the UK mainland?
--

Chris

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 06:53:36 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Polar orbits.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 16/07/2018 09:35, Brian Gaff wrote:

This morning the radio was talking about vertical (rocket) launches from A'Mhoine and horizontal (plane) lauches from one of three possible locations - one being Cornwall.
SteveW
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:47:19 +0100, Steve Walker

Newquay, in fact, notable because the airport has one of the longest runways in the country, if not the longest, about a mile IIRC. This resulted in Concorde being diverted to Newquay when Heathrow was closed by fog, with the irony that passengers who came from New York in a bit over 3 hours, then took considerably longer to get to Heathrow by coach! Whether the long runway has anything to do with its being selected as a spaceport, I don't know, but quite possibly if the launches are horizontal.
--

Chris

ITYF that even the world's shortest runways are over a mile in length
tim
On 17/07/2018 09:12, tim... wrote:

London city airport runway is 0.9280303 mile.
Mike
On 17/07/18 09:35, Muddymike wrote:

That IS short.

You haven't landed and taken of from a Nigerian airstrip in a Twin Otter! I've no ide of the length of it, but when landing, I could only see swamp below us until the last second before the wheels touched down. On take-off, they wanted every inch of the strip and so turned the plane right at the end ... so far to the end, that they had to stop the traffic on the road as the wing went over it in the 180° turn!
SteveW
On 17/07/18 09:12, tim... wrote:

Mmm. Im pretty sure that...
..there are a few shorter than that
Jersey and Guernsney are just over a mile, and they are a bit hairy.
http://www.safebee.com/photoblogs/travel/5-worlds-shortest-runways
1600 feet! That's less than 600 yards..
10,000 feet or about two miles is standard for 'all aircraft' capability
Oliver Tambo airport (Johannesburg) has a 15,000 foot runway, but due to its altitude - 5000ft - and the heat - up to 45C overe the tarmac at middaya, a fully laden Jumbo cannot take off at midday.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Ah, my mistake. I should have checked. It's 2.75 miles long, fractionally over 9,000 ft, it says here http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/uk-airports/newquay-airport/ How that compares with other runways, I don't know.
--

Chris

Sorry, wrong again. I'm not doing very well this morning! That should be 2,750 metres, not miles!
--

Chris

On 17/07/18 10:16, Chris Hogg wrote:

2.75km? Thats pretty short
On 17/07/18 10:12, Chris Hogg wrote:

Top dollar so far is Oliver Tambo (Joburg) at 14,500 feet.
Unless you know better.
Heathrow 3,000 meters or so
Oh. here you are...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_runways

Bullshit they are. http://www.safebee.com/photoblogs/travel/5-worlds-shortest-runways
On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 09:12:37 +0100, tim... wrote:

Several relevant links on this: https://www.theengineer.co.uk/?channel=0&s=spaceport&sort te
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Martin in Zuid Holland

I think they plan to launch things into a polar orbit. Proximity to the equator has no advantage for polar orbit launches. It's as far north as possible to avoid falling rockets landing on inhabited areas. The Russians have a launch site in the north of Russia as well as in Kazakhstan and other places.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Ah, thanks, and to PeterC. I suppose with a polar orbit you can effectively scan the whole of the earth's surface given a few cycles, but with an equatorial orbit, you...um...can't. Is equatorial better for stationary satellites, such as are used for communications and geolocation?
--

Chris

It's the *only* option for such satellites.
--
Lady Astor: "Winston, you are drunk!"
Churchill: "And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."