OT Strange Keyboard problem

Can any of our resident PC experts throw any light on this problem?

Dell Dimension 5000. When powered on the keyboard is initially recognised, as I can hit F2 and enter the bios screen. However, when the boot up process completes and the log-in screen is displayed the keyboard is totally unresponsive. Has anyone an idea as to how to sort this?

Cheers, Iain

Reply to
Iain

PS/2 or USB?

If PS/2 borrow or buy a USB keyboard and it will "just work" (my experience anyhow) whilst leaving the PS/2 board attached.

Get yourself to device manager and reinstall the driver. If you can't make PS/2 work chuck it away and keep with USB.

Reply to
Vortex7

What OS?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's a USB Keyboard. There are no PS/2 sockets. OS is XP Pro

Reply to
Iain

In that case it sounds like a driver problem. Did you get a disk with drivers on with the PC? If not, try updating the driver through Device Manager and let it search the internet. Of course, you may be able to download the driver from Dell's website.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Just one little problem with that ----------- I can't log on to the bloody computer coz the keyboard dosn't work!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Iain

If you have another PC, and *if* you enabled remote logins, use remote desktop to log into the b0rken PC from the other one (mstsc.exe)

if you didn't enable remote logins, then you can download a trial of dameware Mini Remote Control which you can install from the working PC and then connect to and control the broken one ... it does sound like a windows USB driver issue.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In that case try plugging it into a different USB socket, preferably one it has never been plugged in to before.

Also have you tested what happens with a "safe mode" bootup? If that works do a backwards system restore and have another go.

Reply to
Vortex5

Does it require a battery? Some do, some do not.

Reply to
ericp

I don't know how to get you past the log on screen, I'm afraid.

If you manage to get windows running you could then control the computer using the on screen keyboard:-

Howard Neil

Have you waited a while? I've built Dell (Optiplex and Vostro) XP and

2003 server boxes where the keyboard works in BIOS, stops when the OS loads and starts again about a minute or two after the login screen comes up. I assume it needs time to check all hardware and load the relevant drivers.
Reply to
Nick