OT Silastic Automotive Compound

Does anyone know where I can buy "Silastic Automotive Compound" from? I need it to reseal a box of electronics and this has stuff has suggested. tia

Reply to
dave

Isn't that just silicone rubber?

Reply to
Grunff

Sounds like silicone liquid gasket - I'd have thought motor factors or engineering suppliers will have it, otherwise something like

Rob Morley

compound, as used to seal body seams.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , dave writes

Silastic is a brand name of Dow Corning for their silicone.

For electronics applications we always use Dow Corning Silastic 744 at work. The important thing is that it's a neutral cure product, the acetic cure stuff will cause corrosion problems with the copper in electronic products. Neutral cure stuff smells of methanol (I always think a bit "minty"), acetic smells of vinegar.

If the job's important, I'd get electronics grade silicone from Farnell or similar, otherwise you local shed/BM will have neutral cure builders silicone that _may_ do the job.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

just use bathroom silicone sealer

Reply to
mindwipe

Another person who seems to think that silicone sealer is a 'one sealer does all' solution.... :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:18:16 +0100,it is alleged that ":::Jerry::::" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

One word of caution, normal silicone + electronics, often = non functioning electronics. The acetic acid evolved when it cures is highly corrosive to copper.

Reply to
Chip

yet it will ,in this case, do the job of sealing and gluing an electrical case together

Reply to
mindwipe

electrical

Read the thread wan*er....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

i did but you had your head up your ass you self important prick now f*ck off its way past your bed time and mummy will want her pc back soon :-)

Reply to
mindwipe

You utter moron. BTW, haven't you spelt your user name wrong, shouldn't it be 'arsewipe' ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

still a prick i see arsewipe is something i'm sure you still need your mum for

Reply to
mindwipe