OT: scientific orthodoxy

Reply to
Nightjar

The 'sceptical' consensus is that temperatures are no LONGER rising, and the cause is therefore (since CO2 still is) almost certainly (mostly) NOT human, and therefore burning fossil fuel; will not make (very much, if ) any difference.

In essence the whole caboodle is wrapped up in the magic 'climate sensitivity' - i.e. how much is temperature change a function of doubling CO2. The alarmists have figures of several degrees, the luke warmists are a degree or less, and the sceptics are down at a fraction of a degree or even zero to negative, depending on what weighting they give to various feedbacks.

The 18 year 'pause' in significant warming has basically forced even the alarmists to admit that 'something else is going on' and that blows 'settled science' out of the water, and raises the simple point that if something else is capable of stopping AGW dead in its tracks, how much of what was supposed to be AGW was caused by it in the first place? Not a good time to be an HONEST climate scientist.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh dear. Tinfoil hats chaps?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 12/11/14 10:13, "Nightjar

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Tim Streater

On 11/11/2014 10:53, "Nightjar

Reply to
polygonum

Oi!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

This was at Durham and he was rather old. Don't remember his name but another guy there was Mike Pentz, quite a famous guy. He was the director of studies. I bought him a Newcastle Brown, his first.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ah, well, that's where you lose me. I never could do sums.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

There jolly well is not! The actual global temperatures have not risen for 17 years, yet CO2 has continued to increase. So the science that predicted temperature rises has been shown to be wrong.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Never met Mike Pentz, but I remember him from the various TV programmes he did for some of the modules I studied.

I did one summer school at Durham and one at Leeds. The evenings at Durham have mostly failed to survive in the memory. Probably something to do with the Newkie Brown and Fed in the students' bar...

They aren't the extreme right. They are mainstream. Look at voting intentions.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Hate to mention it, but the German Nazi party was mainstream too. But perhaps you don't think they were extreme right either?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Really? Can you quote recent examples of the BBC giving air time to anyone who disputes the predictions of the climatechange/global warming brigade?

Reply to
bert

So they now predict 100 years into the future - and then can not be proven wrong.

Reply to
bert

Never heard of Godwin's Law?

Reply to
Huge

If you are so certain your statement is true how about sharing with us the data on which it is based.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Reply to
harryagain

Reply to
harryagain

I didn't know you were an expert in the topic. In fact I don't think we have any here. Why then are you spouting drivel that conflicts with people that are expert? Or is it you just pick out things you hope are true?

Reply to
harryagain