OT: Recommendation for DSL modem/router with VOIP, please

Any recommendations for a DSL modem/router with wireless and VOIP please (manufacturer and/or model)? Any gotchas? 4 ethernet ports, and one VOIP/ATA port would be sufficient. Am thinking about upgrading existing modem/router to include wireless and VOIP. Don't need DECT. Doesn't need to be anything over-spec'd, just sit and do its job quietly and reliably. An on-board firewall would be useful, although I imagine most have them these days? Had a look at Fritzbox, but they seem quite over spec'd for what I want. TIA Allan

Reply to
Allan

In article , Allan writes

This is a helpful group but uk.telecom.broadband and uk.telecom.voip might be more relevant and both are very active at the mo.

Reply to
fred

If using VoIP then a router that also has traffic prioritisation and QoS capabilities is worth having.

To be fair, its usually the better business class routers that will have VoIP as well.

I would go for a Draytek 2830Vn

John Rumm

If you don't mind a router sculpted like a loo seat..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can just about forgive it that[1], since it does most of the things its supposed to reasonably well.

[1] Although it does mean coughing up best part of £40 for the rack mount kit at times!
Reply to
John Rumm

I have been running a Billion 7800n for 24 hours a day for more than a year (last 3 months with a BT FTTC modem) and it really is very good. The wireless N is simple to set up and has excellent range - I have used it at 30 metres.

The only negative I can think of is that it does get a bit warm so to help obviate overheating problems which have occassionally been reported I have put some stick-on feet under it which raise it up by

15mm and improves the cooling noticeably.
Reply to
rbel

Single point of failure. It goes pop and you lose all connectivity.

Rarely is the best position for the modem and/or router and/or switch and/or VOIP also the best position for the WiFi access point. Some of the above might be OK in the same box (see SPoF) but the wireless really does need to be placed for best RF coverage not convienience of cables.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes shit looks but fine inside...

Reply to
tony sayer

Lets review what there is out there.

Draytek 'shit looks but works' Billion 'shit user interface. but works' Cisco 'Obsolete, good looks and just works' Fritzbox 'a bit unknown, but also works'

All of these are a cut above a 'domestic' router and have features aimed at 'SOHO/SME type markets.

All of them cost upwards of 120 folding green. I couldn't find a fritzbox with VOIP without DECT,

Since the OP parallels my original spec. for exactly this functionality, id be interested in anyone who has any other options to list.

I certainly thought a S/H Cisco at £79 quid was best value.

And with old stock being shifted sub £130, still good value

Draytek is £230+ Billion is around £200

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I quite agree, and I do lurk on those groups, and have posted more technical queries there. At the risk of making an OT post on uk.diy, I posted here because there is a wealth of experience (which is what I was after) and some very knowledgeable people (and several people who inhabit uk.diy also contribute to uk.telecom.*).

Reply to
Allan

I can do them for £209 inc VAT and delivery at the moment...

(or £189 if you don't need the VoIP version)

Depending on the actual application, a VoIP/SIP phone might make more sense. With the router you are buying lots of toys you man never need like triple WAN (ADSL/Ethernet/3G), load balancing, VPN endpoint etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Can be had for less...

tony sayer

Fritzbox Fon/Wlan 7270

Reply to
Peter Parry

Hijacking the thread, is there anything out there that has two WAN ports, one via an ADSL2+ modem, the other ethernet, with a four or so port switch and *no* wireless? No need to bond the two WANs (one is inside a walled garden) but must be able to route say iplayer/youtube traffic via one specified WAN and possibly load balance across the two for other traffic.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup, the entry level 2830 without the n suffix (which means 802.11n WiFi)

£159 inc VAT and delivery.

It can't channel bond anyway as it happens, but it can load balance (or do failover). Its got an ADSL2+ port for one wan and a gigabit ethernet for the other. Its also got USB which will take a 3G dongle for a third if you want.

Yup, you can set detailed load balance policies, to tie down what traffic is routed over which link if you like. You can spec rules by protocol (TCP/UDP/ICMP/UGP), and src and dst IP address or port range.

Reply to
John Rumm

Look at DrayTek Vigor.

I am aware of models that support more than 1 WAN.

Some of these support up to 4 WANs and some support the use of a 3G USB dongle.....

I have been looking at these as I have both virginmedia cable internet at up to 120MB/s and a BT copper line that can support VDSL at up to

80MB/s.. so with bonding, could potentially get close to 200MB/s..... ....droool.........

See:

HTH,

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

We use a few of they here and there of differing types and no problems at all:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Absolutely, and no problem :-)

Reply to
fred

Thanks for all the advice. Plumped for a Draytek Vigor (and there's a very nice comparison chart of all their models on their website which really helps).

Allan