OT Raising the Kursk.

harry snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote in news:b86c00f9-527e-4568-9d8e- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Absolutely fantastic. I still think it odd that they cut the nose off though.

Reply to
John

Fascinating. The Dutch have always been particularly good at marine salvage.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Perhaps they were worried that it still contained unexploded torpedoes. Apparently some pieces of the bow section were recovered, and the rest destroyed with explosives. There's more on Wiki

Chris Hogg

harry snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote in news:b86c00f9-527e-4568-9d8e- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Amazing.

Reply to
John

+1. Apart from long having been a maritime nation, they are of course very strong on what you might call underwater engineering with land reclamation, pumping stations, and the associated docks, locks, etc.

This is worth a visit

newshound

The Cruquis engine, and two others, the Leeghwater and the van Lijnden engines, all three with outer pistons of 144" diameter, were built in the 1840's by Harvey's of Hayle, only a few miles from my home. They were, and probably still are, the largest steam beam-engines ever built. An absolute triumph of Victorian engineering. It's a great pity that very little of Harvey's foundry now survives.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I wonder where the coal came from to power it?

Reply to
harry

Probably the province of Limburg, in the south.

or the Ruhr in Germany, a little further east.

Reply to
Chris Hogg