OT:Posts oddity

Why, all of a sudden, are new posts showing up as read in my newsreader (PAN on Debian) ?

Primary server is ES, with VM/Highwinds as secondary ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Don't think it could be to do with your server, etc, as it's a local facility on your newsreader?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Weirdly your post was showing as already read !

Possibly something temp has got corrupted ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

====snip====

Following up on my own post to add (see bottom posing)...

It looks like I'll have to try a more radical solution involving taking a photo of the subscribed groups list and do a full and complete uninstall before trying a fresh 'clean install'.

I can collect headers ok but as soon as I select a NG, similar to before, the unread number either disappears or reduces to an infeasibly small value in the case of uk.d-i-y (14). However, the new unread posts can be read despite every thread indicating they've already been read. I just have to guess which are likely to be new unread posts and "suck it 'n' see".

The situation doesn't show any sign of improving, hence the feeling that I need to try a 'clean re-install' of Pan which I believe is a little bit on the 'buggy' side anyway (it certainly seems to behave a little erratically from time to time, suggesting there's truth regarding its 'buggyness').

I hate having to resort to such "Nuke and repave" methods but life's too short to be agonising over various possible 'cures'. However, if anyone has any less draconian cures to offer before I wipe the slate clean, I'd appreciate any such helpful hints over the next day or so.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Basically, it *did* take a 'Nuke & repave'. My problem lay in tracking down the hidden .pan2 workfolder in my home partition to rename it before that solution was able to do anything useful (I'd completely 'busted' Pan by simply removing the one and only server entry in Pan's server list).

In short, VM renumbered the messages as a result of 'maintenance activity' which confused the hell out of Pan (and possibly other clients as well - but I suspect most news clients have some sort of 'sanity checking' built in to prevent such news server message renumbering exercises fatally confusing them).

Reply to
Johnny B Good