OT? Peculiar problem.

This is a peculiar problem that seems trivial but is really irksome. When I get in the car in cold weather the entire front windsreen steams up in seconds. (Inside) Side windows not affected. It can't be simply wiped off & the heater takes ages to disperse it. A squeegee will move it temporarily after quite a bit of rubbing but it comes back. Can be really dangerous in the dark with other people's oncoming headlights.

I came to the conclusion there was some sort of oily film on the screen. So I tried "Windowlene", petrol, white spirit, meths. Thinking about trying cellulose thinners. Nothing seems to shift it it.

Any ideas?

Reply to
harryagain

Sounds as if you have moisture in the ventilation system somewhere. IANAE but think this can be a particular problem with AC and it's filtering. I'd be inclined to post this to uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Reply to
Andy Cap

Does your car have a/c ? Does the steaming up start when you get in or only when you start the engine or turn the heating on?

Ours (2008 C4) has a slight tendency to do the same but if I turn the a/c on it suppresses it as the a/c removes moisture. Although I've never quite understood whether or not having the heater on at the same time as the a/c is like driving with the brakes on.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I find that being in a Ford with a heated windscreen makes me think the windscreen has a oily film

Having the air-con on does effectively dry the air before it gets heated. ~ (you should use it from time to time anyway)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

On many Ford models directing the air to the windscreen automatically turns on the AC to remove moisture from the incoming air. The AC indicator light does not necessarily come on when this happens.

Reply to
alan

Happens before the heater is turned on and only windscreen affected.

Reply to
harryagain

If this vehicle has aircon, then at the end of each journey, run the fan full blast with aircon off for the last 10 mins or so to dry off the internals of the heater airways. I have also read that changing the pollen filter regularly - it is usually a 12month service item can help but not sure quite why as that should not harbour moisture.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I reckon it's the fumes from those batteries :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It could be simply you have recirculating switched on so once you introduce moisture in the car it just simply recirculates that moisture laden air. I do not know why they still have that option in car heaters it is supposed to enable you to heat it up quickly by not sucking cold air in but I find i t just slows down demisting . My Ford has a single switch for rapid demisti ng which diverts all the air to the windscreen, turns up the blower and tem p to max., switches on aircon and switches on front & rear windscreen heate rs as well as heated door mirrors. I suppose that's the way to go.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Put a cover on it to stop the radiation to the sky cooling the screen. Poor warm water on to warm the screen. Put a dehumidifier in the car. Don't breath for the first few miles.

Reply to
dennis

Car lives in dry warm garage. Happens in seconds when one gets in the car. Only windscreen affected.

Reply to
harryagain

For when you are following something particularly smelly.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

as he (or she)said. running the air con even though you need heat set to hotter works Also for temporary effect open drivers window for a bit

Reply to
F Murtz

In message , Tricky Dicky writes

Recirculation enables the air con to cool down the interior more quickly in hot weather. Very easy to use if you have an automatic as you can be sure it is in N or P if the engine starts and if you leave the controls suitably set in advance. Open door stick key in ignition start engine close door wait 3 mins nice cool car. Note no need to actually get in the hot car.

Reply to
bert

There are two products I found invaluable when riding motor bikes at this time of year: Rainex and Fogex (or was it Mistex?) Anyhoo, get the latter stuff and wipe the inside of the screen with it. It prevents condensation forming in the first place and works really effectively. The Rainex I'm actually currently using as the wipers on my Rangey have packed up. It looks really cool driving at 100mph on a motorway in torrential rain with no wipers, yet still having perfect visibility! :-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not so cool when you're doing under 30 which doesn't generate enough draught to shift the drops. Besides give it a few years and we'll all have ultrasonic rain deflectors ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks, I'll try that.

Reply to