OT: Paper Shredders

I'm having a clear out and have about ten year's worth of various statements to get rid of, a 4" stack. My cheap shredder can just about manage three sheets. I mean, how hard can it be?

So what's good and cheap? No, I can't burn them.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Why don't you....

Ah... As you were then.

Seems a shame to buy a shredder just for one session. Do you own a pasta maker with a spaghetti or tagliatelle attachment? One bored afternoon I tried shredding paper with mine and it worked quite well.

I also own a puny one-sheet shredder and because of its very close spaced cutters I used it to try and make Angel-hair spaghetti. Word to the wise: don't try this.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I'm waiting for delivery of a Rexel shredder with a 130 sheet feeder.

Are you anywhere near Darwen, East Lancs?

Reply to
R D S

ride on lawnmower?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Knock up one of these?

Richard

Or this:

Richard

On 18:31 21 Jan 2019, Nick Odell snipped-for-privacy@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in news:q25364$i40$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Oh wow. That must have been a sticky mess.

Very innovative though!

Reply to
Pamela

Your time?

You give no clue to the average thickness of the paper but lets take as an assumption you have 1,000 sheets and that it takes your shredder 30 seconds to chomp 2 sheets. Then dealing with the lot will take 15,000 seconds. Add on time to empty the shredder bin and call it 5 hours. A small shredder shouldn't be deafening so you can do that while listening to anything you like - audiobook, radio play, heavy metal, etc etc. And spread it out across several days or weeks unless you really need to shift it fast.

Reply to
Robin

Small shredders often have a low duty cycle, 5-10 minutes out of 30, so

15-30 hours ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

I have the 80 sheet version, which is ****ing useless. It is so picky about the paper that it's more or less useless. It would be great for plain paper printouts, but anything folded defeats it. Anything glossy, likewise.

If you feed the pages in manually, it's quite good at chomping through them slowly.

Reply to
GB

It's hard because paper is engineered to be durable.

Fellowes P48-C will do 6-8 sheets, just. Several seconds to do that. A four inch stack of 80 gm/m^2 is about 1000 sheets. I just wouldn't try to put that much through mine. If I have half an inch or more I just put them in the bottom of the woodburner and light a conventional fire on top of them.

Do you know anyone who works somewhere "interesting"? Military spec ones will eat 6mm at a time, and cross-cut it into about 4x1 shreds without drawing breath.

Reply to
newshound

There's a problem with home & small office shredders. While they can do a few sheets (not the number they claim to, unless those sheets are value bogroll), they don't survive long if you do that. Best to stick to 1 sheet for many, 2 sheets for the better ones if you want them to last a useful amount of time.

One more option is to pulp them. Add to bucket of water, take a paint mixing thing in a drill and attack. You'll soon find the drill is too high speed & can't handle running for long, but even a nonideal setup like this can reduce the stuff to pulp way quicker than an office shredder. BUT... you're left with a big pile of wet pulp. It can be spread out thinly on soil or pressed into insulation blocks. If just dumped in a heap it takes years to rot.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

oh, ffs put them out for recycling.

Reply to
TimW

Good point. Perhaps then put shredder in loo and do the job as and when there's an opportunity. Paper could be kept tidily to hand in the once traditional way.

Reply to
Robin

But not if shredded. At least, not round here. It clogs the sorting machines, apparently. <== Interesting fact? :)

Reply to
GB

There's normally quite a limited duty cycle on these things, so a lot longer.

Mine is a 10 sheet Fellowes one that cost me about £35. I did a six inch stack recently but it took a few days.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've been putting mine in a clear poly bag tied shut (so that it does not get everywhere) and they have been taking it. I guess there should be somewhere they can put it after sorting?

Reply to
newshound

I thought it was because shredded paper had fibres that were too short for recycling into new paper.

May depend one whether you have kerbside separation or mechanised sorting.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

We are told to put shredded paper in our mixed recycling sacks that Bywaters process at Bow.

Reply to
Robin