OT: One for the literati

"Transport" it's called..

Reply to
Jimk

I've received a couple of weekly food parcels but no longer need more as I'm now on a supermarket priority list.

Phoned my local council help line to find out how to stop further ones. Was told they'd been asked this several times, and didn't have the answer. They said the simplest way was just to put a note on the front door on delivery day. A pal locally has the same problem.

So I'm intending printing and laminating a couple of notices to hang on the front door, one each of us.

Ideally, big enough to be read easily from the street about 3 metres from the front door. Preferably 1/2 A4, as I have loads of pouches that size.

What would you write on it? To be clear to the delivery driver, and not make neighbours etc think you'd died? ;-) And keeping the largest possible font size in mind, as concise as possible?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A bit tangential but:

a. I was told DEFRA didn't build in an option to cancel in the absence of a /secure/ register because of the risk of "false negatives" - bearing in mind the opprobrium if they stopped sending them to people who need them >> opprobrium if people complain they don't want the ones they get;

b. you could contact local food bank(s) to see if they might collect.

Reply to
Robin

<snip>

Is perhaps the best thing to do. And to suggest to your friends in the same situation.

Reply to
Fredxx

A lower case rounded font as used on road signs probably can be seen from the greatest distance.

alan_m

No food parcel needed. Other arrangements made. Thanks.

Reply to
Scott

Yes, a stylised picture of a food parcel on a white background with a red circle around it.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

That could well be a likely explanation. Said pal was worried about trying to alter his entry on the government site in case it cancelled his supermarket priority too. I didn't even think of doing so since my phone call said not to bother.

I'd rather it went back into the system. To be used by others on it. Very little that can spoil on it. Only fresh was bread, carrots, apples and oranges.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ITWF the providers will not take it back as it may be contaminated by Covid-19. A food bank /may/ be less fussy else they'd be taking no public donations at all at present.

Reply to
Robin

Hence me wanting it to stay with the delivery driver. He can simply put it back in his van. So in exactly the same sate as regards contamination as when it was loaded.

I'm going to make the notice big enough to read from the street easily. So he can simply turn round and go back to his van.

Scott seems to be the only one who actually gets it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even though you're on a supermarket priority list, do you want to cancel the food parcels altogether? What happens if the supermarket delivery fails?

What about:

No food parcel needed today. Please check again next week or phone 0xxxx xxx xxx

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

what about my name is not plowman

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I'm told I should put it up each week on the delivery day. Unless its the same delivery driver who learns his round, I'd expect one to be delivered if it's not on the door.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You think they do an individual delivery specific to you? It's just a cardboard box left on the doorstep. Everyone gets near the same. So no name or identification needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whatever Dave may be, he's not one of them! Maybe in his most aspirational of dreams, but certainly not in reality. :-D

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Whatever Dave may be, he's not one of them! Maybe in his most aspirational of dreams, but certainly not in reality. :-D

Jim is a dumb Little Scotlander.

Reply to
Pamela

Not strictly true. Some are are for specific diet needs.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I think I'd try to follow the chain of supply. You are on a list somewhere and maybe the delivering company might know.

I have a friend who had one out of the blue, though she never asked or registered. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Oh, you are quite wrong, Our Dave is the epitome of the Little Red Englander.

Hers been fighting the Norman overlords since 1066.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hello forger, Jim won't like that. Are you trying to upset him?

Reply to
Pamela