OT Netgear DGND3700 intermittent wireless

I have already posted this to a couple of router/networking groups but given the enormous breadth of knowledge and experience here .....

I had a network running off a non-wireless DG834 and a cheap wireless access point.

Got a DGND3700 to replace them. Connected up, set up and all worked fine including wireless. Left all connected. Returned a couple of hours later, no wireless signal.

Have changed settings, rebooted, done factory resets etc but wireless seems to work or not at random.

Unit is in a well ventilated area and is only warm.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Invisible Man

Why "fix" something that isn't "broke"?

Send/take it back for a refund "not fot for purpose". Revert to non-broken system that worked. Rarely does the best physical location for the ADSL device also match the best physical location for the wireless AP. Having both wireless and ADSL device in the same box also introduces a single point of failure.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gross stupidity. Should know better at my age. Just trying to get a faster connection upstairs and for my wife's laptop when she works from home which is not that critical anyway. Even more stupid the 3700 is only just being released so likely to be buggy albeit it is based on an existing wireless router with just a modem added.

Waiting to hear from Netgear. In the meantime I have taken the space out of the SSID to see if that makes any difference.

Reply to
Invisible Man

I had a similar problem caused by overlapping channels of adjacent WIFI setups. I downloaded inssider:

displays the channels being used allowing you to move to one with less interference. Might not be your problem but worth trying first.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Might it be as easy to just run an ethernet cable upstairs? Almost certainly it'd be a 'better' connection.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

wireless

With age comes the abilty to admit ones mistakes. B-)

Via the 'net connection or to a local server? If via the 'net then the limit will be that not the wireless. Unless you are in a busy WiFi area, the old AP can only do 10Mbps and have the exchnage at the bottom of the garden and get reliable and little contended ADSL with a BRAS > 10Mbps.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes - I was about to suggest the same.

Try a random choice of new radio channel for a quick "might work".

Reply to
dom

Thanks for everyone's ideas. I will blame my mental health problems for missing the obvious.

On the auto setting the router had chosen to use channel 1. Of the other visible networks 4 use channel 11 and 1 uses channel 7. So far so good.

Cordless phone base station only 6 feet away but unplugging made no difference.

Finally turned off the digisender which is over 20 feet way in another room. Problem solved. After experimenting I have changed channel of digisender and all now appears to be working well.

Thanks again

Hugh

Reply to
Invisible Man

As a matter of interest the exchange is about 70m away but surprise, surprise the cable does not run straight there.

Should be able to backup my wife's outlook files a lot more quickly. I don't think she has ever deleted anything and it is HUGE.

Reply to
Invisible Man

are you running latest f/ware .........

I had trouble with my Netgear ADSL modem. Wifi Router ........... upgraded the f/ware and all been fine since.

Free downloads on Netgear site.

Reply to
Rick Hughes