OT: mystery roadside pole

Any thoughts?

Seen on the M5 at regular intervals between Worcester & Bromsgrove.

Quite a lot of them, probably every quarter to half mile. Looks like a lamp on top but presumably not a lamp. ?Lamp? is isolated from pole by an air gap of 1-2? and connected by a wire that loops around the side. Seem to only be on bits of motorway with ?part-time? hard shoulders.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

the system for detecting stationery vehicles uses radar and there are similar detectors for that on the M25

Reply to
Robin

Thanks. That sounds plausible. Given the dangers of part time hard shoulder the short distance between the poles makes sense.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Or they might be light sensors?

John

Reply to
John Walliker

You can see one attached to the side of a post in this National Highways article, entitled 'Stopped vehicle detection upgrades':

nightjar

They aren't sensitive enough to discriminate on that level. They will detect all stationary vehicles though.

Reply to
Richard

I don't think paper cars show up well on radar

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

true; cruel, but true :((

Reply to
Robin

Tim+ was thinking very hard :

In which case, probably detectors of broken down vehicles, in lane one, for when it is a running lane.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

In message <1Nudnc7 snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com, nightjar snipped-for-privacy@bignell.me.uk> writes

I noticed on Sunday that similar devices have appeared on the M27 eastbound (and guessed what they were, but thanks for the confirmation), where it is being converted into a Not Very Clever Motorway, but I couldn't spot any on the westbound. Perhaps they are working in one direction, then coming back and doing the other one.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I found these which seem to be a reasonable match to the photograph.

are a radar with 360 deg coverage operating at 76 to 77 GHz. The range is 300m for people and vehicles. As they have 360 deg coverage, there is no need to have them on both sides of the motorway.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Somewhere, possibly in the manufacturer's information, I read that one unit covers both sides of the road.

Reply to
nightjar

The AdvancedGuard offering is for security; it's their Clearway product that's specifically used for stopped vehicle detection:

There's a graphical video showing it in action - the short of it is that it can detect a stopped vehicle in any lane, in any weather, within 10 seconds of occurrence.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Will it also detect "Insulate Britain" Crusties almost instantly too ? (Or cows/heifers/bullocks/horse/etc) ?

Reply to
Andrew

Apparently so!

Mathew Newton