OT ish; Phone to PC

Hi

Previously when I have taken a photo on my Galaxy Ace 11 smart phone, I have plugged it into my PC tower, gone into 'Computer' and seen the phone listed.

Now I do that & it isn't shown.

Any ideas why? Tried 2 different cables.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I found after I reinstalled my PC that I needed a usb driver to access my Galaxy 3 mini, this is on the Samsung Kies software

Reply to
Trevor Smith

*Indian call centre mode* A PC reboot often helps, it's usually easier and quicker than buggering around in device manager. Works for me, when you plug something in and you don't get the PC "dong ding" noise. Wait till PC has completely rebooted, then try again.
Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

If you pull down the status bar on most samsung phones, there is usally an option to "turn on mass storage device mode" or some similar wording. Selecting that should then make the memory device visible to the PC as another drive.

Reply to
John Rumm

If it's anything like my Galaxy S4 (and SHMBO's Galaxy Ace) then a reboot of the phone as well cures most strange behaviour.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I kept losing the connection between phone and PC, finally discovered it was Juice Defender on the phone. It was closing *all* connections when the screen went off to save power, even the USB one, strangely.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Have you switched it off and back on again? (The computer and the phone)

Reply to
mogga

What OS?

Reply to
Mark

Slightly O/T but if you can run dropbox (ubuntu1 etc) on your phone and do auto-upload it is a seamless operation plus your pics are backed up instantly and you can share the pics(s) publicly from "the cloud".

On the other hand as others have said, the occasional re-boot of phone is required when something goes wrong that was working before.

Pete@

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Ta, but don't see that option.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Windows home 7 or summit....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

another option is to pull the card out the phone and use it directly connected to the PC in a card reader.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks all, switched the phone off then on & all now works.

Bloody things!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Settings -> Wireless and networks -> More settings -> USB utilities ??

Reply to
Bob Eager

USB Mass Storage has been removed from Android 4 because the PC and the phone weren't able to access the storage at the same time for fear of corruption, so you couldn't do much with the phone while it was plugged in. Android 4 releases use PTP (for photos) or MTP (for everything), which allows both to access the flash at the same time. It also means the flash can be formatted as ext3, a more robust format than FAT (and don't have to pay exFAT patent fees to Microsoft).

Native MTP support in desktop OSes is a bit patchy, but seems to be improving.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos