OT: Internet Browser handy tip

Just zoom the text the opposite way, and move your head :-P

Reply to
PM

Thanks for that - that's great!

While on the subject of Firefox, the first time I load FF each day, it takes for *ever* - sometimes well over a minute before anything appears - whereas IE loads in a few seconds. Anyone got any ideas? [FWIW, my perception is that it's a lot worse since I upgraded AVG-Free to V8 - but it's always been slow].

Reply to
Roger Mills

Since I made FF my default browser, IE seems to take forever to load (on the odd occasion I do use it)! But IMHO, yes, FF does take too long to load. I too am runnign AVG 8 - but no idea if it is related.

I am getting sick of AVG - seems it is always out of date. Set to refresh daily, I think it fails to do so if it is not running at that time. Maybe this gets done when the machine is rebooted, but as I usually hibernate (sometimes for weeks without a reboot), I often find it does not update. (Just guesses, I haven't really tracked its behaviour sufficiently well to be sure.)

Any good (free!) alternatives?

Reply to
Rod

You could set it to check at a time when you know your PC is usually switched on. That way it won't mis any updates.

Nature of the beast that's being fought. It's quite comforting knowing a free Anti-Virus gets updayed very regularly.

Nope. None better in my mind. All the paid for packages load so much crap on your PC it's rediculous. Spybot S&D and AVG free (for home use of course) covers it all IMHO. (Providing your internet connection is through a router of some description)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Yes - it *is* set at a 'usually on' time. But life isn't that predictable.

But it isn't very comforting when it doesn't do it! :-)

Reply to
Rod

AVG 8 is much slower than AVG 7. AVG 8 also has very antisocial net behaviour in that it loads all pages on a search results page to check if they have a nasty lurking on them. It does this regardless of you actually clicking on one of the results. This uses internet bandwidth and places additional load on servers that sit high up the search results. You may think well it's only 10 pages but there are an awful lot of AVG users out there...

Fair enough load and check if you click on one but not "just in case". You can turn it off but you have to jump through some hoops to do it if you don't want a warning message from AVG that you "aren't fully protected".

Have a look at Avast!. I've dumped AVG due to the above antisocial net behavoiur and the age it was taking when scaning a file loading into an application. Avast! may not have all the bells and whistles of AVG but it does the job quickly and without agro.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's probably due to IE being so heavily embedded into the OS that most of it gets loaded when you boot up the PC before you use it. It might even take longer to load but it gets hidden among the rest of the time needed for booting.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

And plays havoc with any attempt to analyse website visitor statistics :-(

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Can't say I've noticed. Slower at what?

I recently installed AVG 8, I had the option to not install the link scanner. I chose not to. I've not had any nagging

Reply to
chris French

I think the nags happen if you choose to install the link checker and then disable it. I can't check it now though because I ditched AVG on my (rarely used) Windoze box in favour of Avast which doesn't seem to have so much bloat.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

You won't if you choose not to install the link scanner but most will (it's on by default IIRC) and if you decide to turn it off later via the option in the control panel it warns you that you are not fully protected.

To get rid of the warning you either have to ferret about inside your browsers helpers or re-install AVG with a magic incantation from the command line. Not soemthing most computer users will feel happy about doing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying something like:

Here, Antivir is running in the background and doing scans every few days. I also have AVG8 doing a weekly scan but it has its shield disabled so as to not clash with Antivir.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember chris French saying something like:

Well, I'm one of them and I've found it utterly handy for years.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon