OT: Huge variation in perceived risk

I have been searching for a reasonable car insurance price, but I have been surprised at the variation. All quotes are for the same policy conditions and additions, but vary over a range of ~300%. I always thought tables were used to determine risk, but this all looks like a thumb in the air ..job

Reply to
Smolley

I suspect supply chain issues, particularly for EV components, are making repair costs very unpredictable at the moment.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This year I stayed with the same insurance company. I did check on the comparison sites and the best half dozen quotes I got were all the same ball-park figure.

I've found that often the biggest difference in quotes is how much voluntary excess I'm willing to take. I tend to accept a compulsory + voluntary excess of around £250. I do have a full no claims bonus.

Reply to
alan_m

Is the 300% variation you are seeing just the basic insurance without all the additions? Ticking a few of the optional extras can rapidly increase the amount you pay and some companies do take the piss with the price of the options.

Reply to
alan_m

Exactly the same options and additions.

Reply to
Smolley

Maybe there is some aspect of you insurance requirements that some companies don't like such as where the car is kept, driving convictions etc. I am not so sure that the range is that unreasonable. Some companies offer benefits such as car hire whilst your car is being repaired. The policy I have includes comprehensive insurance whilst driving in Europe for 90(?) days or so.

Reply to
Michael Chare