OT. How to set up a home computer network?

Times is a changing, the telly has ethernet port and DLNA. The network disc storage has a DLNA media server in it. The PVR also has a ethernet port and may well work as a media server. Start streaming decent quality (aka Blu-ray) HD video about the place and bandwidth soon gets eaten up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's three devices.

SANPVR might fill most of a gigabit channel (though I'd be surprised if you got more than 25%) but the telly will then have nothing to talk to. And in any case wouldn't need more than a Blur-ray's bandwidth - isn't that 54mbit?

You need two pairs of devices, each at high speed. Four PCs will do it, or two PCs and two disc servers, or such like. I still think that's rare. Probably almost no-one not on one of these groups!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

With a repeating hub, a couple of PCs doing a DVD image transfer will have a fairly serious detriment on any of the other clients. Having said that, gigabit repeating hubs rather than switching ones are rare beasts, so not something worth worrying about.

Reply to
John Rumm

I am not sure I have seen even a 100BaseT *repeater*.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When 10/100Mb hubs first became available, it was still expensive to have fully switched LANs, so they tended to be a 10Mb repeater and a

100Mb repeater, connected via a bridge (i.e. 2 port switch) in a single box, with enough intelligence to detect device speed and connect each port to the relevant repeater.

e.g Cisco fast hub 300, 3COM Superstack dual speed hub 500.

Until managed switches with mirror/monitor ports became widely available, this type of hub was quite handy wnen you wanted to sniff traffic between two 100Mb devices.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you want a low cost solution then I can recommend the Buffalo Linkstations. They come with HD included so you can't (easily) upgrade them. Another advantage is that they need no client software installed so will work with non-windoze operating systems.

Reply to
Mark

Indeedy - I keep an archaic old 5 port hub for just that purpose!

Reply to
John Rumm

To be fair, even with those that do have software, most can be driven from their web interfaces without it.

Reply to
John Rumm

fast

True just pointing out that things in the domestic scene are changing. Should a tellies appear in the bedroom(s) they will almost certainly have ethernet ports so they can access the media server or iPlayer (not that that strains a network).

40Mbps for Blu-ray and I can *still* see artifacts, at least in several places in "Planet Earth - Plains" that I watched last night. B-(
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Watch my lips. _In_ _most_ _houses_ _there_ _are_ _no_ _other_ _clients_.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Speak for yourself!

Anyway, its rather a moot point. You want a gigabit lan if you are moving DVD sized files about with any regularity, and try finding a repeating hub that works at 1000T!

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

A managed switch would allow broadcast packets to a range of ports but it takes a lot more configuration and knowledge to set up than the usual kind of unmanaged switch that Joe Public installs at home.

Reply to
Robert Sneddon

Or eSATA. Remember when we used to chop things up into 1.44MB chunks so we could put them in our pockets? :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Now we chop them into 8Gb flash sticks instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My portable hard drive fits in my pocket.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Oh! I thought you were just pleased to see me!

Reply to
Tim Streater

I am not sure I wish to hear that!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not. You and I are rare exceptions. Even so it's pretty rare for me to want to move two large sets of data between two pairs of machines at the same time.

There is that!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ